Re: The Good Irma, The Bad Irma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Brown in Santa Barbara, California on August 30, 2001 at 22:48:10:

In Reply to: Remodelling at Hotel Irma posted by John on August 30, 2001 at 13:48:16:

Hi,

The Hotel Irma (pronounced "Air-Ma") is a work of art in progress…no beginning and no end, ha! I understand that the owner is the widow of the man who owned the Mexicana. She's gone crazy with her new found cash and terra cotta paint, you'll see. The remodeling should have no effect whatsoever on your stay.

Stayed there earlier this year, 1st time at Irma, wanted to be at La Madera 'cause location is a spit from the village of Zihuatanejo…3 minute max walk on the sand into Z.

The GOOD IRMA: Clean, neat, nice staff, great bay views, big two person showers (water pressure questionable), location just right, a stroll into Z via the sand, safe, secure, blah, blah.

The BAD IRMA: Every room is coined (by me) "The Ronald Reagan Suite"…..hip replacement required after sleeping on the beds, ha!.. true. But then most Mexican hotels, no matter the price range, has anti-cushy-tushy matresses. Everything else at the Irma is totally fine….except: the swimming pool(s), worth no more than a look; location is a steep 500 foot walk too far when stumbin' back after a beer fest in town (take a taxi for $2 bucks), balconies not private, one way (southbound) staircase to the sand.

I'd stay there again 'cause…price totally acceptable as is the location, totally accepatble view rooms, Mex ambience, etc. It is a larger property….tour groups book there. The Irma (with Terra Cotta color) can be seen from across the bay.

OUR EXPERIENCE: The Irma kicked us out. We had only a 3 night reservation. They let us stay for a 4th night…switched rooms. We walked La Madera and checked out almost every other hotel. We moved to Villas Miramar for 7 more nights. The Villas Miramar is, well, just great. Here goes my pitch:

Villa Miramar: Two doors downhill from The Irma, totally and completely PRIVATE as long as you stay in the OCEANFRONT building. We stayed in Room 14….see my video. Total Mexican ambience with USA standards, super bathroom, mega shower for 2, totally private balcony (small), sleep all night with glass slider open and totally secure, drop your shorts and nobody is the wiser, ha! This is the only hotel at Playa Madera that does not require a climb up the steep hillside. You'll see. Yet, it is perched highly and perfectly for the majestic view of the bay. See my photo page and QuickTime Videos.

That's it. Lots of typing 'cause I'm reliving the best vacation imaginable. Gawd, we had fun. Zihuatanejo is THE place.

Ixtapa can be nice too but slightly too Hawaii-style and glossy for us.

Geez, have a grande time!

Bill Brown in Santa Barbara, California

Follow Ups: