Re: Casa del Encanto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Home ] [ Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brook Dalgaard on October 17, 2001 at 00:17:33:

In Reply to: Casa del Encanto posted by Jennifer in Portland on October 07, 2001 at 20:45:03:

Hi Jennifer,
My husband and I stayed with Laura and Noyo at Casa Del Encanto for 4-5 days this past August, and I have to say, like you I was surprised at how low her rates are. Youre even more surprised once you stay there. The rooms are beautiful, clean, and colorful. Every day we woke up to a fresh breakfast of granola, yogurt, breads, fresh o.j., and native fruits. I was sick during most of that vacation and Noyo made sure I was drinking my share of hot tea with lemon, honey, and tequila! And its not a prerequisite, but you cant help to fall in love with the kids who stop by every once in a while. I'd mention other things like how the morning light filters in through the slatted doors of your room, and how theres always bottled water by your sink for brushing your teeth, but you'd think Laura wrote this email herself. We loved her place so much and Barra as a whole that were hoping to have a family reunion in Barra.

As far as the water goes, there is an undertow that the Barra kids are used to, but was a surprise for me. They taught me to just dive into the wave and let it pass overhead, and INSISTED that they never heard of anyone who ever got stung or bitten by anything in the water. But the key word there is "In" the water. On dry land, the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Seriously, bring the repellant, but know that if you forget, you can buy some there.

So, all that said, my curiosity got the better of me near the end of our stay and I asked Laura why her rates are so low. And its only because she's not directly on the beach but two blocks away. My thinking on this: A) the short walk is a lovely tour through a real Mexican coastal town, with the kids, pigs, and horses ambling alongside you, and B)I saw almost all of the properties along the beach in preparation for the family reunion and none are as well kept as CDE but almost all are double the money. Go figure!

Have a lovely stay!

Follow Ups: