Re: Drive Acapulco - Zihuatanejo

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 148.235.160.138 (customer-148-235-160-138.uninet.net.mx) on lunes, abril 29, 2002 at 15:14:04 :

In Reply to: Drive Acapuclo - Zihuatanejo posted by Al in New York from 24.184.254.105 (ool-18b8fe69.dyn.optonline.net) on lunes, abril 29, 2002 at 07:46:55 :

Hola again Al,

Driving Guerrero's coastal road, Carretera Nacional 200 between Acapulco and Zihuatanejo, is anything but a pleasurable experience. It is white-knuckled driving even for people familiar with the road. It is a 2-lane black top with some treacherous potholes, a lot of switchback curves, and so many topes (speedbumps) I think the government must be cahoots with the auto repair business! Cattle and livestock easily wander in the road adding even more anxiety for drivers already trying to dodge potholes, topes, landslides, sudden stops by taxis and buses, and many less-than-cautious drivers.

Why arrive to Zihuatanejo in a bundle of nerves?

There are luxury, non-stop, air-conditioned buses with professional and cautious drivers available. They are very comfortable, and I think you would enjoy the trip more. Believe me, you won't be able to enjoy much scenery if you drive. You'll be too busy watching for hazards (or you should be if you drive).

There are few places worth stopping just for sightseeing. Maybe Pie de la Cuesta, the cliffside restaurants near Papanoa and the beachside restaurants at La Barrita. If you want to rent a car wait until you are here in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa (though you should make the reservations from the U.S. before leaving in order to save money). You can easily drive to places like Papanoa, La Barrita, La Barra de Potosí, Petatlán, and Troncones from here in an hour or less.

Estrella Blanca and Estrella de Oro both have excellent direct, first-class bus service from Aca to Zih. Be sure whatever bus you get has a restroom and A/C.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.