Re: Manzanillo

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.9 (dup-200-65-89-9.prodigy.net.mx) on miércoles, septiembre 18, 2002 at 12:46:32 :

In Reply to: Re: Manzanillo posted by diane from 165.107.71.123 (?) on miércoles, septiembre 18, 2002 at 11:14:18 :

The entrance to the water is a bit tricky from the beach. There is only one small area along the shore with sandy bottom where you can enter and leave the water without having to cross over rocks, and you have to watch out for the small stingrays that sometimes like to rest in the sand there. There are also sea urchins on many of the rocks. Sometimes the water just in front of this entrance/exit area gets stirred up from wave action or currents so that, even though the water in the bay is crystal clear, it may be a bit cloudy from stirred up sand in this narrow pass between rocks to the beach so that you have to keep lifting your head out of the water to see where you are going while at the same time watching out for the rocks on both sides of you. If your children are good swimmers and comfortable using snorkeling equipment they should have no problem (probably less than you) adapting to the conditions there. A boogie board is also helpful for making entering and exiting the water from the beach easier.

Also, you should not touch any of the coral or stand on any coral heads because it kills them.

All in all this is, IMHO, the best snorkeling area around. And I took my daughter snorkeling there when she was your sons' ages and she loved it. Snorkeling from a boat anchored in this cove is the easiest way to enter and exit the water if you go by panga or sailboat.

There are photos of this beach on my Beaches page.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.