Re: Fishing in Zihuatanejo

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Stan Lushinsky on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 13:33:48 :

In Reply to: Fishing in Zihuatanejo posted by Jay on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 13:28:00 :

Dear Jay, Marty and Juneau,
There are a few areas where surf fishing is a possibility. I can recommend the rock pier at Playa Linda as well as the beach areas adjacent to Ixtapa Island. The bay at Potosi is also fishable if sea conditions are right. Top water pencil poppers will draw a lot of strikes as will spoons and bait. Go with red and white if the water is off color or blue and silver or black and silver if the water is clear.
One thing you have to keep in mind is your ability to make long casts. A good surf rod in the 8 - 10 ' range along with thin diameter spectra fiber line is best in the 30 lb/8 or the 50 lb./12 is best. I can give you the phone number of a good company which manufactures great spectra line.
I have surf fished for 12 years in I/Z and can honestly say that it is difficult and the productivity is not high. Better to take a super panga for the day. You'll access much more area and have a much better chance at a variety of species. Let me know if we can help. We have some great captains who specialize in inshore fishing.
Thank you,
Stan Lushinsky
Ixtapa Sportfishing Charters
ixtsptf@epix.net

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.