Re: Shore Fishing

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Stan Lushinsky from 199.224.70.73 (bngr-70ppp73.epix.net) on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 21:50:02 :

In Reply to: Shore Fishing posted by Connie from 130.187.24.65 (?) on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 20:14:03 :

Dear Connie,
Best wishes for a great vacation in Ixtapa Zihuatanejo this weekend.

I've been developing the fishing resources of I/Z for 12 years and perhaps I can lend a bit of guidance for your shore fishing. To the north of Ixtapa there is a little rock pier where the pangas take clients to Ixtapa Island. I believe the beach is called Playa Linda. You can usually catch a few jacks at that locat1on and a snook and perhaps a roosterfish is always a possibility. You can fish in front of the hotels in Ixtapa but I would recommend very early or late to avoid the traffic.

Zihuatanejo Bay can also be good from the shore. Madera Beach and La Ropa beach can be fished from the shore. To the south you can access Playa Blanca and the beaches in front of the airport. That beach is about 9 miles long and there are restaurants along the beach where you can take a break.

AS far as tackle a good surf rod in the 8 - 9 foot range is best. We prefer using the Daiwa Emblem X 5500 reels with low diameter spectra fiber lines in the 30/8 and 50/12 lb tests. You can get all of these items in the Cabelas Catalog.

As far as lures. The castmaster spoons are good in the 3/4 and 1 oz sizes. A white or yellow bucktail is also good. For surface action the 6" 1 oz Cotton Cordel Pencil popper in the red and pearl and black and chrome are best. You'll need to be able to cast in the 50 to 70 yard range to be effective. Be careful of any strong surf as the tow can be dangerous at times.

You may also want to take along some 2/0 - 6/0 hooks with a slip sinker and try bottom fishing with dead cut bait which can be bought on any morning on the fishing pier in Zihua.

Would also suggest you stop by the Hawaiiana Tours fishng office in Zihuatanejo (right across the street from the basketball courts on Juan Alvarez Drive) and talk to either Jose Luis or Hiram. They are very good guys and I am sure they will be able to guide you further.

Hope this helps. Please email me with any questions.

Sincerely,
Stan Lushinsky
Ixtapa Sportfishing Charters
www.ixtapasportfishing.com
www.ixtapasportfishing.com/tournam ent
ixtsptf@epix.net

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.