Road Logs, Insurance, Rates and Damage

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Ernie Gorrie from 216.232.11.214 (s216-232-11-214.bc.hsia.telus.net) on viernes, diciembre 20, 2002 at 13:49:54 :

In Reply to: Thinking about driving around... posted by Josie from 63.224.25.57 (?) on viernes, diciembre 20, 2002 at 12:04:47 :

Take a look at:

http://www.kmbykm.com/main/Mexico/Guerrero/Mexico_Guerrero_highway_map_logs.html

for a couple of driving logs of the area, complete with photos, that I put together. One describes Ruta 200 from Petatlan to La Mira, Mich. The other describes the scenic drive into Troncones, along to the village of La Majahua, then back out to Ruta 200.

If you have a premium (e.g. Gold or Platinum) credit card, be sure to confirm that their rental car collision coverage is valid in Mexico. Almost all of them are (although non-Mexican auto insurance is not valid in Mexico). Then be sure that you waive the Collision Damage Waiver when you rent the vehicle. This can be upwards of US$15.00/day savings.

We had guests who were assured by the rental car desk that they had to accept the CDW, then the credit card company would reimburse them. This was incorrect and the guests were out-of-pocket something like US$150 for the CDW.

Although I have not rented a car in Zihuatanejo for a few years now, in the past I found the lowest rate for several years by going to www.travelocity.com and getting a weekly rate from ECR or EuropCar Rental.

Finally, I take my digital camera with me. When we do the pre-rental vehicle inspection for damage, I am obvious about taking photos of any damage, often making a point of including the company representative in the photos. When returning the car I've never had a problem with them alleging new damage.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.