TRIP REPORT - part 4...final impressions

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Linn from 68.0.145.101 (ip68-0-145-101.tc.ph.cox.net) on sábado, enero 18, 2003 at 17:04:01 :

As I said before...one lovely, lazy day ran into the next until we had to return to the airport....so this will be...

:) MOSTLY FOOD:

All our breakfasts were enjoyed at Villa de la Roca. Large, delicious breakfasts...some I still don't know what they were called. We also enjoyed 4 delicious dinners there and they were awesome!! Often the staff would make us small lunches if we were hanging out there at 2:30. Fresh guacamole, chips or quesadillas. YUMMY!

Another excellent meal we had was at Coconuts! They serve a Chiles Relleno... thee BEST I've ever tried! Maybe it was the type of pepper which was 4 or 5 inches wide but it was smooth and so wonderful.It was made with potato and shrimp....hmmmm....different and EXCELLENT. I cleaned my plate :) and it came with white rice...which I've never seen before. Mel had the mahi mahi (because they were out of the snapper) prepared like their snapper dish. :)He said it was good. Their coffee was also so yummy and we ordered the flan. (Mel just said he wished he had ordered the chili rellenos even though he doesn't like shrimp..we'll that's a huge recommendation!!) Dinner for two with tip was about 100.00 US with three drinks (2 were double margaritas..yikes), one coffee and one dessert and oh...2 bowls of WONDERFUL Lobster Bisque before the entree.

We ate a few times at La Perla but I'll admit we had their club sandwiches each time!They were excellent! All their Mexican dishes looked excellent. Since this was big time football season, my husband NEEDED his football and sports bar fix with he other crazy Americans! I hung out on the beach and met so many great people from EVERYWHERE! La Perla is the most fun place!

We heard from the other folks who went to Kau Kan for dinner that two of their 5 dinners were absolutely horrible!The others were fine... But they had a good experience at Casa Que Canta.

Mel and walked thru the CQC dining area at dinnertime and it was LOVELY...can't vouch for the food. The staff graciously gave us a tour! (the view from VDRoca was even better...but the ambience was equally romantic!)

I met a delightful chef from Portland who said she had a wonderful meal at Daniels, stating the snapper was excellent. I love shellfish but not fish-fish.....darn! But one night they served fish at Villa de la Roca and I loved it...so maybe I'm expanding my dining repertoire...!

We also ate at an Italian restaurant on the road between Kau Kan and Casa Que Canta. Why you may ask ? Because VDLR wasn't serving dinner that night and we were sunburned and VERY tired.:) They were very kind and the food was good. Mel had tuna and I had pasta with shrimp....can't remember the name of the restaurant....sorry. Moderately priced with beautiful bay views from our table looking down on Casa Que Canta one way and the lovely boats of Zihua the other!

We didn't do any shopping!! WOW..I just realized that.....but I bought some lovely pottery from adorible children walking around La Perla!

Everyone we met was friendly, kind and helpful. The skies were blue and the water warm. It was a EXTREMELY laid back, relaxing vacation and after just 2 days back to work, I need to go AGAIN!

Thanks again for all the excellent info on Rob's terrific board....think we're hooked! And I can assure you, we'll be working on learning a lot more Spanish before our next trip!

We stayed our entire time (8 nights) at Villa de la Roca. It was a beautiful, 4 story, 5 bedroom villa over looking the bay! The views were breath taking and the staff friendly and very helpful when needed. (not at all intrusive). We loved Zihuatenajo.....!

If you're ever coming to Tucson for some sun, I'd be happy to give you tips for having a fun vacation here!

God bless...........time for a siesta...

Linn
in sunny, warm & dry Tucson, AZ ;)

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.