Trip Report Day 5 - Dec. 21 - Jan. 5

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by David(in Bellingham) from 12.129.7.100 (mx1.mossadams.com) on miércoles, enero 22, 2003 at 20:08:38 :

Day 5 –

Christmas morning, and I get to go fishing. Since the big Christmas party is traditionally on Christmas Eve in Mexico, we decided to start a little late at 7:00 am.

I head for dock at about 6:45 and do the usual routine w/ stopping at the store to pick up drinks and the sandwich stand for breakfast and lunch. Temo’s right on time at 7:00 and he already picked up the live bait for today’s trip.

Today we’re going to fish inshore for roosterfish and jack crevelle. Instead of heading offshore, we head northwest up the coast to a beach north of Troncones. For this type of fishing, you use light tackle and troll with live bait right along the beach, as close as you can get without having waves break over the boat. While you’re trolling, you can also cast poppers from the bow of the boat.

This type of fishing is really exciting. You can see the fish working bait in the waves, and then watch them explode out of the water when they hit the live bait. The drag on the reels is set very light, just enough to keep the bait from taking out line when you’re trolling, so the fish immediately starts peeling line of the reel. You have to let fish run for a few seconds to give it time to eat the bait, and then you tighten up the drag and set the hook. Now the fight is on! It’s hard to beat fighting a 50lb rooster (our best fish of the day) on light tackle. At times, if the boat gets a little to close to shore, you can see the fish you’re fighting above the boat swimming across a swell. You need to have your sea legs on for this type of fight, since you’re in the swells right by the beach while you’re fight the fish. A good rooster on light tackle can take 45 min. to an hour to land. At the end of the day, we had gotten 2 roosters (one 50lb and one 30lb), 2 Jacks (15-20 lbs each, and couple of Bonito. Overall, a pretty good day.

On the ride back, Temo suggested that we go to Chez Arnoldo’s (his mothers restaurant) at Las Gatas to eat some of the roosterfish. I’d never eaten roosterfish before, so I decided to give it a try. Our first course was some tiritas, which were excellent. If you’ve never tried tiritas, make sure you do next time you’re in Zihuat, especially if you have some fresh caught fish. Tiritas are strips of raw fish cured in limejuice with some sliced onions and chilies, and are usually served with some chips or crackers. Tiritas are great with just about any type of fish, as long as it’s fresh. If you’re a raw fish purest, they’ll serve you a plate of sashimi, made from your fresh caught fish, that comes with soy sauce, wasabi, and even chop sticks.

Our next course was medallion fillets of roosterfish cooked with garlic and other spices. It was exceptional. Some people have told me that roosterfish is no good to eat, but the way they prepare it a Chez Arnoldo’s it’s really good. My bill for the day just included my drinks. The preparation of the fish was free, but the cook and other staff kept all of the fish that we didn’t eat.

I hung out at Las Gatas long enough to see another beautiful sunset talking with Temo and my friend Chay, who works at Chez Arnoldo’s. If you’re going to spend the day at Las Gatas, you won’t find anyone who’ll take better care of you than Chay will. I tried to talk Chay into going out drinking, but he said he’s not doing any serious drinking until New Year’s Eve.

I caught a ride back across the bay from Temo, and decided to head home and call it a day since I’ve got a tuna fishing trip planned for tomorrow.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.