Trip Report Day 8 - Dec. 21 to Jan 5

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by David(in Bellingham) from 12.129.7.100 (mx1.mossadams.com) on jueves, enero 30, 2003 at 19:00:33 :

Day 8 Ė

Today Mark and I went on a standard deep-sea fishing trip w/ Temo on the Secuestro de Amor. We spent the day trolling dead-bait between the 3-mile mark and the 10-mile mark. It was just a gorgeous day on the water.

Mark got a big dorado and a sailfish on two strikes, setting the hook for himself. The sailfish was released unharmed.

I got two big dorado on two strikes. On the first one, I set the hook myself. On the second one, I set the hook to soon and missed the dorado. Temo immediately grabbed one of the other rods and started jerking it back and forth and reeling quickly a little bit at a time to tease the dorado I missed to another bait. When he had the bait he was working halfway to the boat, the dorado hit again, and Temo let it run for about 10 full seconds before he set the hook. He hooked this time, and I landed another nice dorado.

We took the fillet from half of one of the dorado and gave the rest to Temo.

When we got back to Zihuat, we didnít stop at Las Gatas because we had to get to La Perla in time for the afternoon football game.

After a quick stop at home to get showered and changed, we caught a cab to La Perla on Playa La Ropa to meet up with Kait and to watch the Oakland/KC game. The section of the bar that had TVís was packed, but eventually we got a table right in front of the TV. Mark and I had a bet on the game, he took KC and 3 Ĺ points and the loser had to buy a bottle of Corrallejo tequila for us to split. Mark lost the bet and since he couldnít immediately produce the required bottle of tequila, a made him pick up a round of tequila shots. They didnít have Corrallejo at La Perla, so we settled on Herrudura Anejo. The bartender must have thought Kait was cute, because we ended up with these cube-shaped shot glasses that each held 3-4 ounces of tequila.

After the game, we moved down to the main portion of the dining room and asked them to prepare the dorado that we brought caught that day. The agreed, and for a $50 peso per person preparation fee they made a couple plates of sashimi, some tiritas, and grilled fillet both Vera Cruz and w/ Garlic. While we were waiting for the food, we decided to try the best tequila we could find. Our waiter recommended the Jose Cuervo Reserva de Familia at $120 pesos per shot. Iíve got a bias against Cuervo (I think its overrated) so I decided on the Don Julio 1942 Reserva de Familia for $110 pesos per shot. I canít really describe it, youíve just got to try it to understand, but it was the best tequila Iíve ever had and I highly recommend it. When the food came, it was wonderful. La Perla is another great place to take your own fish.

After dinner, we started drinking Spanish Bulls. This is a drink w/ dark rum, lemon juice, sugar syrup, and dark beer (preferably Negro Modelo). I know it sounds like a strange combination, but itís a really good drink. After a couple of Bulls at La Perla, we caught a cab back into town and stopped by Florianís Kiosko. Mark and Kait liked hanging out there as much as I do. They both said that the music selection was really good, and the open-air factor was nice as well. We stayed there drinking Spanish Bulls and playing cards (hearts) until closing time, and then we stumbled home.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.ģ, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.