Re: Flyfishing

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Pete/MN on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 16:29:43 :

In Reply to: Flyfishing posted by Duane Black on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 16:29:01 :

Duane -

You could try some inshore fishing from a superpanga. It's not exactly true sightfishing, but you're pitching surface lures and it's very visual (especially when you see the big dorsal comb of a roosterfish bearing down on your lure!).

You can flyfish on these boats but the key to any success is being able to throw a lure/fly a lonnnng way toward the breaking surf and retrieving it very, very fast. A guy can get pretty tired double-hauling an 11 weight with two handed retrieves all day.

Because of this, I've always opted for the large spinning rods over my fly rod. A spinning rod can fling a lure farther, with less effort, and the retrieve ratio on a spinning reel is much faster.

You really should give it a try. You get to see some beautiful beaches (and the White Rocks!) up close and personal. Bring your camera. And you might land a nice pez gallo; possibly the coolest looking fish anywhere.

Good luck, Pete

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.