Trip Report...I'll never go back to Mazatlan!

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Robin on Sunday, December 16, 2001 at 16:46:49 :

We just returned from a wonderful family vacation to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo After Ixtapa I don't think I can bear to go back to Mazatlan. The water was so WARM AND CLEAR (yes, I am yelling about it!)! It was quiet and very clean. There were few people (probably due to recent events). In fact, Americans were very much outnumbered by Mexicans in our resort, The Riviera. It felt authentic to be surrounded by the language and music of Mexico in our own clean well run resort. Ixtapa is a newly developed strip of hotels and restaurants and little mini malls on a lovely beach with big waves (wonderful body surfing...my husband and kids spent hours boogie boarding each day). It is very well planned and lovely. 4 miles away is the charming fishing town of Zihuatanejo.

We went to Zihua about every other day for food, shopping, and socializing. The people in Zihua were very kind and helpful. In the evening the families come out to shop, play and visit. We walked around the quiet cobbled streets and felt very safe. We visited 6 beaches while there and snorkeled on 3 of them. We took a boat to Playa Las Gatas and it had pretty good snorkeling (not as good as Cooks cove in Kona though...). We ate some great Mexican food at La Serina Gorda (the fat mermaid), Tamales Any (with our own personal food guide...I think I ate some stuff that we don't even sell here in the states), and most romantic meal was the Villa de la Salva over looking a private beach, it use to be the villa of a Mexican President and they turned it into a restaurant.

We took a boat to the Isle de Ixtapa and spent the day on coral beach (aptly named) swimming and snorkeling and eating very good fresh seafood and drinking lots of yummy Mexican lemonade. The lemonade was excellent every place we ate. In Zihua the kids almost witnessed a true Mexican street fight...one guy had dramatic blood dripping down his face and almost started to fight when a rather large Mexican said "los ninos!" and the bloody guy left. This made a huge impression on my kids and me too...these people love their children.
The weather was real warm and humid...it took about a day to get use to it.

There were so many wonderful things...but I haven't got my Christmas shopping done yet or my tree up or my lights on the house! I am so relaxed though...that it doesn't really bug me too much!

I will be back to Ixtapa/Zihua soon!
Merry Christmas!

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.