Trip Report-Barcelo

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by mh from 65.227.44.90 (1Cust90.tnt1.joliet.il.da.uu.net) on Monday, January 21, 2002 at 14:02:46 :

This is my first ever trip report. If I miss anything, just ask and I'll be glad to answer.
We stayed at the Barcelo and did the AI.
About the Barcelo--great resort. We had booked a room with ocean view. We were in the center of the hotel three floors up and I thought this was great. Good view and not too high to walk instead of taking the elevator. Our room was large for a hotel room and rather ordinary with a good amount of storage for all our belongings for a week. We had a small balcony, but even though it lacked size, it was nice. In the shade a lot of the day and a nice place to start the day with coffee made from the pot in the room. Also, we spent the whole day on the balcony on Sunday because it RAINED the whole day from morning to night. I know, you can't believe it but, ask any one that was there. I thought we would have to build an ark if it continued but, when we woke on Tuesday we had our great Ixtapa/Zihus weather.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the resort each day. Breakfast was a buffet in the main dinning room or you could order from a menu in Don Q's restraurant. There was also a small buffet in this restraurant but, we always ate at the main dinning room. We didn't want to take the time to order from a menu in the morning because we could never wait to get outside. The main buffet offered anything you could want for breakfast and I was surprised at the quality of the food. I would rate this buffet high.

There were three places for lunch--a buffet in the main dinning room or lunch by the pool which consisted of four to six meats and fish being grilled right there and salads etc. or ordering off the menu. I did the grill one day and it was excellent and other than that one day we ordered off the menu. Once again, the quality of the food was very good. Some excellent choices here. Also, near the pool, was a smaller restaurant for pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.
There are four places for dinner. A buffet with a show that changes themes every night or a buffet in the main dinning room. There are two sit down dinners included with the AI and we did both.
These are Don Quixote or Sunset.
Dinner at Don Q's is a must IMHO whether you do the AI or not. This was an excellent restaurant with great service. The only disappointment of the week was the dinner at Sunset. Mine was great--I had rib eye steak. Stay away from the mixed grill which is what my husband had. It contained much "mystery meat" and was a surprise since all of the other foods were fine at all the other places at the Barcelo.
Only ate one dinner buffet and this was at the show/buffet. Buffet's are not usually my favorite kind of meals and I would give this an O.K. rating. The rest of the dinners we ate in off the resort restaurants in either Zihua or Ixtapa.
The grounds and the pool area were wonderful. We spent some time at the pool bar and the drinks at this resort were definitly not watered.
My husband and I travel quite a bit. In Mexico we have been to Accupulco (not sure about that spelling), Huatulco, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, Tulum, Puerto Adventuras, and Cozumel. Most of these places, we have visited more than once and I would rate this resort quite high.
Another thing that I think is worth mentioning is the staff at the Barcelo. I encountered only people very eager to help and always smiling. I didn't meet a crabby staff member all week.
Hopes this helps anyone trying to make a choice.
Maxine

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.