best sports list

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Surfer from 24.237.23.136 (cable-136-23-237-24.juneau.ak.net) on Monday, February 04, 2002 at 14:35:23 :

In Reply to: Fútbol posted by Rico in PDX from 12.81.208.52 (52.portland-01rh15rt.or.dial-access.att.net) on Sunday, February 03, 2002 at 19:43:18 :

You should check out the major city park in zihua .... unidad departivo. It is also where the olympic sized swimming pool is.
My familys favorite thing is to go to the park on weeknights from 4pm till dark and on weekends it is 'hopping' from 9am till dark.
I would defer to locals & Rob's knowledge on this ... but, with 6 soccer fields, 1 cement outdoor v-ball court (w/ lights for night games), 2 baseball fields, and 6-8 basketball courts .... it was 'the' spot for pick-up sports. Many leagues competing there & sometimes-but-not-always they didnt want to add players to existing league teams.
Usually it was no problem getting some game-time, though. (make sure to have some small pesos with you ... it is common to pay the ref / umpire a 5-10 peso fee)

Downtown Zihua outdoor b-ball court is also a great spot for evening & nightime v-ball, sand-futbol (lighted), & pick-up basketball.
League basketball here is fairly serious & pick-players are not allowed as often.

I have always been warmly recieved & treated well and when it is 'closed' to pick-up players, they are 'cool' about letting me know that & also when the next pick up match is.

Ixtapa - I have found good pick up beach
v-ball at the various hotels, especially near dorado / crystal area. Locals start around 4:30 pm but, it is more hit or miss as to when the 'better-quality' players are out. Gringos are usually also playing at most hotels outdoor courts - avoiding noon-4:30 time when heat/sand temp are a factor.
Hit or miss on quality.

Best tip for baseball - take any old extra gloves you have with you & plan to leave them with players who can use em'
Guarantees you a spot for the next year.
Franco the tall waiter from las gatas is a great resouce for baseball.
(I still owe him a 'good' glove)

I hope other 'pick-up-sports' junkies can list their tips too.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.