Trip Report

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Mark Bachler from 64.91.64.96 (adsl0349.lax.customer.centurytel.net) on Friday, March 01, 2002 at 14:14:13 :

This was our second trip to Zihua and we are learning the ropes. I got "randomly" checked at every checkpoint in both airports. My wife, Jayne,thought it was my shady looks but I still think it was my Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band carry-on bag. Anyway it was no big deal. All the airport people were fast at what they did with out a hassle. We got a cab at the airport & headed off in search of Suites La Ropa. Where I thought it would be was a building in a semi state of destruction. PANIC! After looking around a little more with the help of our cabby we found it. It sets behind the restaurant Rossy on a side street toward the far end of La Ropa Beach. We don't spend much time in the hotel room so we always look for a clean cheap place to stay near the beach. La Ropa Suites is just that. Rooms were clean & the ceiling fan worked. If they hadn't of been working on the sewer it would have been perfect. The ocean breeze & fan kept the smell to a minimum. For the $40 US a night I would stay there again. We had breakfast almost every morning at Rossy's on the beach. Drank too much tequila at La Perla the 1st night. I was in search of the perfect anejo. I don't remember if I ever found it but I gave it a valiant effort.
Ed Kunze got rear ended by a taxi cab the night before we were supposed to go fishing so he set us up with Margarito on the Gabby. He did a great job for us. Jayne caught a huge sailfish on her birthday (55-minute fight)& I tagged & released 1 more & had 3 other hookups. Next year I think we're going to book a panga though. A lot faster & plenty of room for just the 2 of us.
Went to the board party on the 11th at Daniel's & it was a gas. Met Santiago the panga captain & talked fishing for quite a while. Thanks Bob & Judy for a great time. We spent more time on the backstreets in Zihua this time. Had a great meal at a little place called Pollo Loco's. Mesquite grill almost on the street. Wandered all over at night & never once felt the least bit threatened. Took the bus to Petatlan on Monday. I learned to drive in a 57 Chevy on the back roads in northern Wisconsin & the bus ride back was pretty much the same. How long IS the life expectancy of a road crew worker in Mexico? Breakfast in Petatlan. My wife knows no Spanish at all but she did figure out that no matter how slow you say "bacon & eggs" if they don't speak English it's not gonna happen. She had what I had.
We met some "CRAZY" people at Suites La Ropa. Dennis & Barb were from British Columbia & Dave & his wife drove all the way from Oregon. We sat with margaritas in lawn chairs on the beach in the rain & watched the lightning show. We partied hard all day with them on our last day & made some good friends.
Pics to come.

Till Next Year
Mark & Jayne Bachler

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.