mapaches y tejones

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.224 (dup-200-65-89-224.prodigy.net.mx) on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 14:56:11 :

In Reply to: Trip Report -- married in Zihua posted by Cara (and Michael) from 63.87.103.5 (?) on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 14:08:53 :

What a nice report! Thanks Cara! I enjoyed reading that a lot!

I just wanted to comment on the animal you spotted from the deck at Villa de la Selva Restaurant. That was a tejón. At least, that's what we call them here. I believe they are probably more commonly called coatimundis in other places. They look like a MAPACHE (racoon) and have the nimble little hands and prehensile tails like mapaches but their head is narrower, their body is more elongated, and they have a longer snout. I've seen them kept as pets, but they never looked happy. They are very curious and like to climb and explore, and when people give them a food source they quickly remember it and tell their pals! It is unfortunate that they live off of our refuse but it has lessened their fear of humans and provides for repeated sightings of them below the deck at the restaurant.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.