El Profe in Coacoyul & Tasty Pozole!

[Follow Ups] [Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Olga and Rick from 209.187.84.130 (chi-30-a-130.chi.dsl.cerfnet.com) on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 at 18:16:56 :

In Reply to: More questions posted by Candice from 208.12.29.79 (host-29-79.dsl-sea.seanet.com) on Tuesday, April 02, 2002 at 14:28:43 :

Hmmm, you are in for a treat if you love pozole! Coacoyul is southeast of Zihua, probably 3-5 miles from the city limits. If you go by car or taxi, it is a quick 15 minute ride. But, if you go by bus, it will take about 30 minutes as the buses stop to pick up passengers along the way. Nevertheless, you might enjoy the bus ride; it allows for one to look out the window, observe the scenery and people and think about so many things.

Anyway, there are two ways to get there: you can take a bus that is headed for Petatlan (further south of Zihua). This bus can be caught behind La Jaiba Feliz on the corner of Benito Juarez and Ejido in Zihua. The front of the bus will read "Omnibuses de Petatlan S.A. de C.V." These are larger turismo-like buses and might cost a bit more than the "micros". You would simply ask the driver to drop you off at Coacoyul because you are headed to El Profe, and he will charge you accordingly.

The other option (that we took) is the "micro". This "micro" is much smaller than the "micros" traveling to and from Ixtapa--I think they are converted VW minibuses. If you are coming south from el Paseo del Pescador and going north on Calle Benito Juarez, stay on your lefthand side. Just keep looking to your left on each street corner for the "micros" and make sure that it says 'Coacoyul' on the windshield. There are a whole line of micros for Coacoyul that leave every 5 minutes and the fare is 5 pesos.

Tell the driver that you want to be dropped off at the corner that will lead you to El Profe. You will know the corner when you see the paleteria La Michoacana. Head two blocks north, and it is on your righthand side.

El Profe is one of the few places in the Zihua/Coacoyul area that serve pozole during the "lunch" hour (before 2:00 p.m.). And does this place fill up! Since it was Semana Santa (Holy Week) and many of the nationals were vacationing in Ixtapa/Zihua, we saw cars lined up with license plates from D.F., Michoacan, Guerrero and Queretaro. And people also came in with huge plastic containers, pots and other large bowls to purchase the pozole for home consumption! The place was hopping!

To give you more info on the pozole, there is pozole verde (green) and pozole blanco (white). You can have either with chicken (pollo) or pork (puerco). Rick ordered pozole verde con pollo (mediano/medium-sized)and I ordered el pozole blanco con puerco (mediano). Of course you get all the goodies like oregano, chile rojo, onions, etc. to condiment your pozole. But let me also add that you have to get one of the botanas (appetizer plates)! We went crazy checking off the menu/order slip when the waitress realized we were ordering too much. She suggested the one that said "Aguacate" (avocado). Oh my! What a treat! This platter came with two avocados split in half, huge pieces of chicharron (pork crackling) that was dry, crispy and tasty, chunks of queso fresco (a firm, ricotta or cottage cheese-like cheese), large totopos (like tortilla chips although dry-not greasy-whole and round) and little flautas de papas (potatoes). The entire bill for two pozoles (mediano), las botanas de aguacate, 6 beers and the tip was
163 pesos (approximately $18 US). There are other botana platters that we saw people order, but we couldn't make out all of the items. We would highly recommend the Aguacate platter!

After you fill you happy tummy, take a walk. We had to! One of the residents noticed that we were taking photos, and she eagerly pointed us in a direction to take beautiful photos. We then ended our excursion with a stop at La Michoacana for paletas. After you have the paleta (popsicle made either with milk or with water), just stand at the corner and a "micro" will show up. The driver will say "Zihua!", you jump on board and say goodbye to this beautful town. If you get a chance to get to El Profe, let me know how you liked it! Rick and I can assure you that YOU'LL LOVE IT! WE SURE DID! (wow, now I am feeling sad as I sit at my computer here at work with 30o temps and rain.)

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.