Short Trip Report and a Suggestion

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Boots from MN from 63.229.208.195 (mplsdslgw16poolA195.mpls.uswest.net) on martes, marzo 18, 2003 at 22:25:45 :

We’d like to thank everyone for the great information on this message board. The maps were great, and so were all the tips. I felt like I new Zihuatanejo before we even got there, and it was everything we hoped it would be. We loved the town, and all the nice people we met, both local folks and other tourists. We met a nice young man named Andy, and his wife Cathy who worked at a little convenience store in town. There was a little dog that hung around in front of their store and we named him Dumas, because he chased cars. He took a liking to us, and even followed us home one night. The Hotel Irma was great. It is a hike to and from town and the walk home up the last hill could be a killer, but it was good exercise. Half of the people staying at the Irma were from Minnesota and the rest were from Seattle, Vancouver, or Alaska. It must have something to do with were the charters fly.
My favorite meals were at the Casa Vieja, (very close to the Irma – great Tuna), The Casa Bahia, (wonderful seafood pasta) and Patys on La Ropa (delicious Tortilla Soup). The Jungle Bar had great White Russians, and Nicole and Elizabeth that work there, are very friendly. Nicole told us to eat at the Gondwana restaurant and the Steak Diane we had there was delicious.
We have a suggestion for anyone thinking about going up to the lighthouse at Las Gatas. We followed the directions someone gave on this board and they were great, but I suggest you take some pesos with you if you go. We were at a restaurant next to Amado’s and maybe that’s why we were stopped. We were told we couldn’t walk behind Amado’s place because it was private property. When we mentioned a tip then it was OK. The climb to the lighthouse is very steep and we had our friend’s 24 year old son leading the way so we did not stop and rest, but we made it. When we got to the top the caretaker was not too happy to see us either. He agreed to let us take some photos and then decided his son could take us up in the lighthouse. Oh my, what a view, it was spectacular! We told him we would leave a tip for him with Franko, the waiter at the restaurant were the rest of our friends were waiting.
Curly, if you read this, we may have gotten your cooler. It was Styrofoam with metal handles on the sides. The top was broke in half, but it still worked great. It keep our soda and Corona’s nice and cold. Someone gave it to our friends who left two days before we did, so they passed it on to us. We passed it on to another couple from Minnesota when we left. To bad you didn’t sign it Curly, it would have been fun to see how many people had used it.
It was a great trip, but not long enough.
Thanks again everyone.
The Gangl’s from Roseville, MN

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.