Our winter in Zihua

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Marty in Colorado from 208.205.225.98 (ca1-208-205-225-98.cos.pcisys.net) on sábado, marzo 22, 2003 at 13:34:06 :

Betty and I have just returned from another two months in Zihuatanejo. Once again it was a wonderful winter renewing friendships with local citizens and yearly returning addicts of the Zihuatanejo area. As usual, we spent most our time on Playa La Ropa during the day visiting with other regulars of the beach and walking the streets of El Centro at night.

If I were to give a full trip report it would probably be long and boring trying to include everything from two months. Instead, I will write about only a few things. If I report on something that has all ready been mentioned on Rob’s message board, please forgive me. I do not keep up on topics of the board while I am in Mexico. I don’t spend much time on the Internet while in Zihua. We do our finances, send a few e-mails and then get off the computer at the Internet cafes. Especially this year since the servers in Zihua were so slow that it took very long to get anything done. In other towns in Mexico, the Internet was fast, so I assume it is a local problem to Zihua. Perhaps it will be corrected by next year.

New Street Lights (not traffic lights). The first thing we noticed was the new Street lights all over town. It made a great improvement to the look of the streets at night. It also gave more of a secured feeling in some areas. This year we walked the path and sidewalk by the canal to Playa Municipal at night since it has lights. Many times it was cooler than the streets with more of a breeze.

A New Pedestrian Street. Galeana, from Nicolas Bravo to Ejido has been transformed into a pedestrian only street and lots of green vegetation has been added. On this street is Hotel America with outside seating for their restaurant. I recommend their food. We ate there many times.

Florian’s Kiosko De Parrillada. In the back of Paccolos Restaurant on Nicolas Bravo is a steak house. I enjoyed the best steak I have ever had in Mexico this year at Florian’s Kiosko. It costs a little more for a meal there, but was well worth it. As anyone that knows me can tell you, I try to eat cheap whenever I can. This time I didn’t mind spending a little more. Forian features many types of steak cuts. I had the Arrachera. It was much thicker than most Arrachera and was very tender. Michael, the Cook, gave me his Hot Oil recipe that he uses on the steaks before and during grilling on an open fire. It takes three weeks for it to be ready. I have started it and can’t wait to try it.

Ice Cream…you scream. This year Betty found the Ice Cream man of her dreams. While there are many Ice Cream vendors with push carts around town, Betty found her favorite. He is usually at the center of the Cinco de Mayo Artist market near the banos. Betty’s favorite flavor was Kiwi. He does all natural fruits. Speaking of vendors with pushcarts. A new one this year is fried bananas and yams. They have wood fire ovens with steam-powered whistles so you know they are coming.

Jaw Breakers (Dentists). This year I had two crowns done while in Zihuatanejo. The cost is about one-fourth the price in the states. Dr. Arturo Ramirez Perezcano did a great job and I recommend him.

Michoacan and the Mountains Our side trip this year took us to the mountains of Michoacan. We took the four hour, express non-stop Bus from Zihuatanejo to Uruapan. Spent three days in Uruapan and then took another bus over to Patzcuaro for three more days. If you are in Zihua for an extended stay, this trip is a must. Uruapan and Patzcuaro are in the mountains at 5,000 feet and 7,500 feet. Uruapan is a large city with one of the largest Mercados I have seen. I would guess it is over three-quarter miles long and several blocks wide. There is a beautiful national park there that is a must to see. One day we took a local bus to Angahuan to see the volcano that erupted in 1943. The lava flow buried a town and the only thing that remains is a church that is half buried in lava. It is awesome to see the Alter and walls of the church sticking out of the hardened lava. We took a horseback ride to get to the buried town. (Man, are those wooden, Mexican saddles hard). You can ride to the top of the Volcano on horseback, but we decide against it. (It’s a long ride).
The town of Patzcuaro sits on a large lake high in the mountains. The people were very friendly and there is lots of history to study and enjoy. There is an island in the middle of the lake called Janitzio. It is a 20-minute boat ride from the marina in Patzcuaro. The original people of the area are called Purhepechas and there are some on the island that have never left the island and don’t speak Spanish. If you like to shop, Patzcuaro is your town. There are stores everywhere.
It was refreshing to get away from the heat of the coast and cool off in the mountains. Long sleeves and pants are needed at night.

I could go on and on but won’t. We look forward to next year and seeing our friends again.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.