Re: Troncones

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Mike in MN from 24.118.218.216 (c-24-118-218-216.mn.client2.attbi.com) on lunes, marzo 24, 2003 at 00:11:55 :

In Reply to: Troncones posted by Martin from 217.210.252.9 (h9n1fls35o823.telia.com) on domingo, marzo 23, 2003 at 19:45:53 :

If you want a deserted beach, go to Troncones. We walked the entire length of the beach (2-3 miles?) and met a total of 10 people...3 couples and a family of 4! Had a great lunch at El Burro Burracho of Tortilla Soup, and fish sandwiches (fresh Tuna) fries, chips and salsa, a little guac, sliced onions, lettuce and tomatoes, and 4 beers for 218 pesos. The Tuna was wonderful, 3 large slabs on a fresh bun....the 2 sandwiches could have fed 4 adults.

We also stopped at a small restaurant/bungalow style motel right on the beach called Su Casa Mi Casa. What a great little spot. The pool was full of the local kids. Seems the owners son had just turned 12, and I would guess that every kid in the area was there for his birthday party! We are talking joyous noise! We stopped for a beer and some salsa, and got to see the end of the birthday party, and the start of sunset. It was a small beachfront property, they do have a website to get an idea of what they offer. Small, family run operation. I could spend a week there.

The town is a couple of miles off the main hwy (#200). It is marked with a typically small, poorly placed sign directing you to turn in towards the beach. As you drive towards town, there are wild burros all over the place (blocking the road, here, there, everywhere) Throw in a goat or pig running wild and ...you get the picture. When you get into town, there are no big signs indicating that you have made it. Very quiet, small, and indiscreet. Remote would be a perfect explanation. As you drive past a few houses and buildings, the road comes to a T. Straight ahead is the beach...left or right down a rough, dusty, dirt road is the choice at hand. A Jeep would be nice at this point...perhaps 4 wheel drive would be in order. We chose to go left on our first pass through town. Navigating the larger potholes was a cinch. Be forewarned, the goats and pigs may appear at anytime. Chickens running around? Just like home. Close to the end of the road we came upon the bar/restaurant El Burro Barracho. Looked like a good spot to stop, plus it was on my list of joints recommended by other travellers from this board. Worth the stop. I'm smiling just thinking about it!

This is mexico. It is a wonderful spot. Friendly people, great food, cold beers, a beautiful stretch of beach all to yourself, scenery in every direction, wildlife, and priced right.

Considering the size of the town (small) there are quite a few places to stay/rent/eat/drink and be merry. Nothing big. 2 stories would be the highest building. No one on the beach is probably the norm.....Kick back and relax. This is Mexico.

I think I may have talked myself into going back there to stay next year!

Mike in MN ;>

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.