Feb 28th-Mar 6th Trip Report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Janelle from Wisconsin from 64.210.49.196 (?) on lunes, marzo 24, 2003 at 13:53:46 :

First of all I want to start off saying that our family had a wonderful time. (Husband and 2 daughters 10&13). Unfortunately this report is kinda late because I did pick up something while we were down there and I have been extremely sick. Although this would not stop us from returning since no one else got sick and we all ate at the same restaurants. The doctor just says I have a weaker amune system (I have gotton it before from food right here in Wis) Ok nuff of that.

We stayed at the Riviera in Ixtapa, at first I was a little dissapointed in the size of Ixtapa (we thought it would be smaller), but our minds were soon changed. The hotel was nice, the staff was great but the people we met made the whole trip worth while. The hotel was small enough that it felt very comfortable and everyone seemed to become friends. This report is going to be mostly were we ate due to I'm not much of a writer and the restaurants are ones that I got off this board which helped tremendously!

Day 1 - We stayed at the hotel during the day to get our bearings of what to do next. For dinner we decided to venture over to Zihua and ate at Casa Elvira. Enrique was our server and did an excellent job! Food was wonderful -We both had the red snapper veracruz.

Day 2 - We decided to spend the day at Las Gatas beach at Otilia's. Franco made our stay very comfortable and met all our needs. I wish I could attach a picture of our family with the lunch they made for us, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. It was a platter of various yummies! For dinner we decided to try Daniel's, I had the seafood stuffed fish and my husband had the fajitas combo. Everything was excellent.

Day 3 - We ate breakfast at Casa Morelos which was very reasonable. Our whole family ate for $18. For dinner was ate at Izabels' which is right across the street from the Riviera. The food was exceptional (chicken Cordon blue and Dorado fillet with rosemary) was the best we'd ever had. If you go there you can't leave without trying Izabels "secret" coconut ice cream, it is very special.

Day 4 - For breakfast we at at Deborah's which was very reasonable $19 for entire family. My daughter had pina colada pancakes which I loved. For dinner was ate at the Huachinango, it was kinda off the beaten path and very quiet. Food was pretty good we had shrimp taco's and fajitas. Ok our family LOVES good ice cream! We heard so much about Bings and were truely dissapointed. It was very overpriced and not even good quality. BUT, we found an ice cream gold mine.......Il Gelatone (next to the super market. Oh my gosh this stuff is to die for. We were all hooked on the Tiramisu flavor, but had many to pick from.

Day 5 - Decided to try our luck at fishing. We went out with Salomon (owner of the Otilia) We had a lot of fun. caught 10 Bonitas and 1 mackerel. Salomon took us back to Las Gatas and cooked the fish up for us 3 different ways. We didn't like them, but it still was a great experience. For dinner we decided to try Frank's Bar & Grill and have pizza on a wood fire oven. This was the only time we were truely dissapointed. I would not recommend this place. My husband talked my into getting the "Zesty" pizza ($18). I've had better frozen pizza's. It was dry and tasteless. When the waiter asked how it was and we told him it really wasn't that great, he didn't seem surprised and walked away!

Day 6 - This was the biggest mistake of the trip, but ya just don't know until you try it. We were "con'ed" into a day at Melia Azul. They made it seem to good to be true and thats exactly what it was. I won't tell you all the lies, but there were many. All I can say is DON'T go there. Decided to go back "home" to the Riviera and enjoy the day anyway and chalk it up to a learning experience. For dinner walked over to Carlos & Charlies for a great time. Food was very good, music was awsome and the help ain't bad to look at.

Day 7 - We finally got a chance to get over to The Golden Cookie. Worth every calorie! The best bakery I've every had.

Well that's about all I can remember. Our family had a great time by all, met extrodinary people and will definately return! Until next year!

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.