Trip Report (Condensed Version)

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Linda from 67.115.108.131 (adsl-67-115-108-131.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net) on sábado, marzo 29, 2003 at 23:21:09 :

When was the last time you got on a plane and the pilot informed you we’d be leaving 10 minutes EARLY? And …(oh joy, oh joy) we arrived half an hour earlier than expected! What a great start to a great trip.

This trip we my husband and I traveled with two friends, newbies to the Zihuatanejo area. We needed 3 bedrooms and after much searching, we rented Villa Lupita, from Eduardo Montes de Oca., who also manages Villas el Morro near Puerto Mio. I was not familiar with Villa Lupita, never having needed a place with 3 bedrooms before, but Eduardo was so informative with his emails and has a very good reputation, so I booked it sight unseen for a week.

Eduardo met us at the airport, even though we rented a car at the airport, and guided us to Villa Lupita. It’s a 3 bedroom apartment with a pool near the fire station in Zihua. The layout was great for the four of us: the main floor has a kitchen, lving room/dining room and a ½ bath, master bedroom w/full bath & terrace upstairs, 2 bedrooms downstairs w/full bath and back door leading to the swimming pool/patio. 3 levels in all, and spacious enough so that we all had plenty of privacy. And extremely reasonable. The main drawback was morning noise, but there are air conditioners in all 3 bedrooms and if you sleep with the a/c on, it drowns out the roosters, dogs & street noise – no problem. We settled in, went to Elvira’s on La Ropa for margaritas, watched the sunset, then headed for Sirena Gorda. My husband and I have been thinking about those smoked fish tacos and the fish tacos al pastor for weeks. We couldn’t wait to share the experience with our friends and they were not disappointed. . In fact, I don’t think we even held a conversation during that feast; we were so busy stuffing our faces. Table talk, if any, went like this: “Mmmm, good,” “mmmf, yummm …”, etc.

We spent the next day (Sunday) at Pantla beach. What a gorgeous place, but no amenities -- ni una palapa -- for shade, so after a few hours of frolicking in the waves, we headed for Troncones for BBQ ribs. Do stop in sometime at Atlantis to see Bill and Patricia. They are great hosts and serve a mean plate of ribs, potato salad and cole slaw.

Monday we went to Barra de Potosi and ate lots of fried abalone at La Condessa, Tuesday to Las Gatas for snorkeling, 2fers later at Paty’s. By Wednesday, we were tired of excursions, and just hung around the beach at La Ropa. Had a delectable shrimp cocktail at La Perla, and later a wonderful dinner at Casa Bahia. Life is good. We spent a few nights at Rick’s where my husband, a harmonica player, jammed with local and visiting musicians.

Thursday Eduardo came by to take us to see his (newish) property, Villa el Morro. It is located on Cerro Almacen, close to Puerto Mio. It’s a lovely property with several different sized rooms, all with fabulous views of the entire bay. The grounds are landscaped beautifully and there is an infinity pool and a little open restaurant on the lower terrace. It would be a lovely place for a wedding or honeymoon (or both). We ate that evening at Chez Paul’s and the food was good, but Casa Bahia was a much better restaurant for the price in our opinion.

Friday was our last full beach day and we parked ourselves at Paty’s again. We all had “brunches” of huevos rancheros, enchiladas, quesadillas, and chilaquiles. Later we waddled to the water and tried to swim off the extra poundage. If it weren’t for the salt water, we’d have sunk like stones.

Saturday, our last day, came much too soon. We got a shopping done, a little beach time in, then back to Villa Lupita for the frantic stuffing of suitcases before our sad trip to the airport.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.