Palma Real Golf Club

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by MotorCity Dave from 152.163.188.228 (cache-rh04.proxy.aol.com) on martes, abril 08, 2003 at 09:48:06 :

In Reply to: golfing in ixtapa posted by cary charvat from 209.245.239.133 (dialup-209.245.239.133.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net) on lunes, abril 07, 2003 at 14:29:01 :

Across the street and down about 300 yards from the Barcelo is the Palma Real Golf Club, the original course developed for Ixtapa. It has since changed hands a couple of times. They have an 18 hole course, outdoor clay tennis and handball courts, a driving range, and a chipping/putting area complete with sand traps.

Prices vary through the year. "In-Season" rates are high, but there are a couple of ways to get discounts. One way is to purchase a "package" of 3 or 5 rounds. If you do this, the greens fees are discounted somewhat, but you still have to pay full price for cart or caddie. The other way to get a discount is to buy a "membership", which I believe costs US $500 in-season. Membership gives you unlimited greens fees, but you still have to pay for the cart or caddie at prevailing rates. So, the fixed price membership can be worthwhile if you are going to be there for an extended period and play a lot of golf.

Off-Season rates are about 60% of in-season rates. I know the lower rates were in effect in early-mid November, but I'm not sure exactly when in-season rates begin or end.

There are only two courses in Ixtapa and none in Zihuatanejo or nearby communities.

Palma Real is more picturesque than the Marina course, but less technically challenging. Last time I played it, foliage at the Marina course still looked fairly new, the grass was in good shape, water hazards on nearly every hole, etc. But as I remember, their in-season price wasn't much different. Things could be different this year - tourism is down significantly. But while fishing boats were being discounted as low as $120/day vs the usual $170/day, golf prices at Palma Real were still the same - at least through early March.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.