Trip Report, Day 8

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Bob in Eugene from 198.107.22.223 (?) on miércoles, abril 16, 2003 at 13:57:29 :

Day 8, L&L Day, the day of Laundry and Las Gatas!

There was an earthquake last night, which woke Karen, who woke Dave. Apparently, it woke lots of people, but not us. We slept right through it. We started our day with a taxi to Lavanderia SuperClean. This is one of our regular routines. Sue and I like to take our laundry in late in the week to get it washed and pressed, and pack it up in our suitcases that way. It takes up less room in the suitcases, and smells a whole lot better. Plus, we can put all those shorts and shirts in drawers at home, because it’s usually way too cold to wear them soon in Eugene. The on to Sirena Gorda for breakfast. This is one of our favorite breakfast spots in Zihua. It’s a great place to people watch, especially on those days like today when the cruise ship is in. The Statendam appeared in the harbor this morning, and the “newly wed and nearly dead” are investigating the local color.

It was fun to take the boat out to Las Gatas, skirting the Statendam by only a couple hundred feet. We had a large group, and went looking for our friend Jose, who we’ve known for a few years through some other friends. He works this year for a restaurant named “Tres Palmas”, and we were glad to see him. He’s a nice guy, very humble and accommodating. Dave and I decided that this year we would walk to the lighthouse. We strolled up the beach past Amado’s, declining the many invitations to stop and dine. “This is your home, amigo!” At Amado’s, we were greeted by a young man named “George”, who told us that the connection to the path was on private property, but he’d lead us through Amado’s to get there. He walked with us for about a quarter mile and left us with the suggestion that we might buy a margarita from him on the way back. We didn’t. But we did make the hike up the hill, about a half mile of pretty steep uphill on a well-paved path, followed by another gradual quarter mile downhill to the lighthouse. We could see Manzanillo Bay down the cliff to our left. While the building itself was less than spectacular, the view was great, and the Statendam sailed out of the bay while we were there. I ran into a family that I sorta knew from coaching Anya’s basketball team at the lighthouse. They were staying at Owen Lee’s. Small world again. We had lunch at Tres Palmas, a wood grilled fish that was great, but turned out to be a lot more expensive than we thought it would be. Another reminder to order off the menu, and don’t get caught up in the “fish dinner for eight” concept, which can be an unpleasant surprise at the end. Meanwhile, Sue was doing some serious beach shopping from two vendors, both of whom we’d bought from in previous years. Strangely, we then ran into a family of three, two parents and their daughter, who we’ve known for years in Eugene. They were staying there for the first time, at the Barcelo in Ixtapa. They were having a great time. Also had a visitation from Senor Gunnysacks, albeit with black plastic bag in hand.

After our day at Las Gatas, we headed back to the Catalina, picking up our laundry on the way (110 pesos, for washing, drying, and folding laundry for four), and for gelato at the store near Sirena Gorda. Tired and full, we dragged our way home for dos por unos and serious reading. I fell asleep in the hammock and shuffled off to bed at 1:30 a.m. Not a bad day.
Tomorrow, que lastima, the Last Full Day.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.