South End

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by MotorCity Dave from 205.188.209.7 (cache-dk03.proxy.aol.com) on viernes, mayo 30, 2003 at 20:40:02 :

In Reply to: Playa Larga, Playa Blanca? posted by Cara from 216.127.253.71 (machines4.sierra.com) on martes, mayo 27, 2003 at 18:45:19 :

As Rob mentioned, it's one long beach - called playa larga at the north end, playa blanca in the middle, and the very small village of La Barra de Potosi is at the very south end.

Waves at the north end of the beach (Playa Larga) can be huge and aren't good for surfing because they break all at once. To the south, La Barra de Potosi's beach is comparatively sheltered by a large peninsula - so the surf there is more suitable for water activities.

None of the areas along this beach are what I would call easy access to Zihuatanejo. If you have a car, it's about 20 minutes or so into town. If you don't, it's an expensive cab ride (make sure your accomodations have a phone, or bring a cell phone that works in the Zihuatanejo area).

Anywhere along this beach would give the feeling of having the whole beach to yourself. Just you, 9+ miles of beach, and farmland except for the row of beach homes right on the water. Right where the Playa Larga road gets to the beach there are several restaurants that I would characterize as "rustic". Similarly, there is a cluster of restaurants in the small village of La Barra de Potosi at the south end of this beach - but that's a 8.5 mile beach walk from the Playa Larga access road.

Bottom line, if you want a "deserted island" type of escape this might be the place. But I wouldn't stay there without having a car for shopping/sightseeing/dinner trips into Zihuatanejo - which is perhaps 8-10 miles away.

PS - Playa Larga is close to the airport, so you will see the occasional departure out over the beach.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.