Thanks for the opinion but...

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.48 (dup-200-65-89-48.prodigy.net.mx) on jueves, julio 10, 2003 at 00:03:13 :

In Reply to: Hotel Catalina posted by Bob from 205.188.209.7 (cache-dk03.proxy.aol.com) on miércoles, julio 09, 2003 at 23:26:25 :

I hardly think you are being helpful to people telling them to avoid the Catalina Hotel. Although the days and evenings may be humid here, 99% of the time a fan and a cool shower are more than sufficient to feel comfortable. As for the steps, there really aren't that many and unless you are relatively out of shape or make excessive trips from the beach to your room and back they should help to improve your health and send you home fitter than when you arrived. The problem is more likely that many "civilized" people seem to be used to using escalators and elevators and taking their car to the corner store instead of actually walking anywhere, except perhaps in the mall, as is customary here. Part of the Zihuatanejo experience is the walking up and down hills and along the beaches to get places, as well as enjoying the fresh rich scent of the unconditioned and clean oxygen-rich air.

And the Catalina is an experience unto itself with its wonderful staff, magical Old Zihuatanejo ambiance, Sunset Bar, infinity pool, large terraces, spectacular views, and its fantastic beach area including the beach bar that has been frequented by the likes of John Wayne and Timothy Leary (though not at the same time, shudder at the thought). The Catalina is one of Zihuatanejo's landmarks as well as one of the hotels that made Zihuatanejo a favorite vacation destination for decades before Ixtapa was ever conceived. No, most rooms don't have A/C and they don't need it, IMHO. I've lived here for over 14 years without using A/C to sleep by or in my home, and frankly I don't even like to use it in my office. They consume precious energy and contribute to the depletion of the ozone layer.

Anyway, we would rather that our visitors adapt to Zihuatanejo than the other way around. ;~)

Glad you liked the Villa Mexicana, but please be fair to others who may not react the same way you did to the Catalina. For most people who have stayed there it is Zihuatanejo's most romantic and idyllic hotel.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.