Local Language

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.89.140 (dup-200-65-89-140.prodigy.net.mx) on martes, julio 15, 2003 at 10:24:37 :

In Reply to: Zocalo/Plaza/Square posted by Jared from 24.108.80.61 (h24-108-80-61.no.shawcable.net) on lunes, julio 14, 2003 at 20:40:23 :

Since I first walked through it in 1974, the plaza by the Playa Municipal has been referred to as "el zócalo" as well as "la cancha municipal" or simply "la cancha".

Being not pedantically restrained but instead existentially and empirically pragmatic, I believe that language is a malleable tool for communication, and that if a group of "communicators" anywhere gives a name to something on which they share a common agreement of its definition and usage then that's what it is to them.

The Aztec word "Zócalo", which wasn't used until 1843 to refer to Mexico City's Plaza de la Constitución, means "base" or "base of stone", such as that of a pedestal. Nevertheless, in most but not all parts Mexico the main plaza is often referred to as the zócalo.

My wife, Lupita, was born in a house that was more or less between the large amate (a type of fig tree) to the immediate east of the basketball court and what is now a small amphitheater that was built last year after the former Palacio Municipal was torn down. That's where Lupita's father operated his telegraph office, which caused their home to be the first in Zihuatanejo to have electricity and where after dark people would gather to chat with "don Fer y doña Rosa" and others who gathered around Zihuatanejo's first light bulb.

And a zócalo was born...

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.