OUR TRIP

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by mem from 198.187.230.40 (?) on jueves, julio 31, 2003 at 11:50:06 :

My partner and I just returned on Sunday from one of the most delightful and beautiful places--Zihua. We loved everyday of our trip and intend to return next year for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Catalina Hotel on Las Ropas and we can't say enough about it and the wonderful staff and owner, Eva. We had Casita #00 and besides the honeymoon suite, I understand this one is one of the best rooms to have there. The view was exquisite and the room was huge, with a sitting room, full little kitchenette, huge veranda, clean and efficient. We ate shrimp tacos for lunch nearly everyday at Elvira's on the beach just next to the hotel. The shrimp tacos were excellent along with cold, cold Pacifico beers. We basked in the sun, enjoyed the mini-waves and walked down the beach for massages for $17. You can't beat it with a stick! We went into town every morning and for a better part of the week we had breakfast at a little spot called Banana's, near the main street. The food was incredible: chilaquilles, fruits, pan frances (french toast), american coffee. Excellent service and wonderful owners always there. The prices were incredibly cheap for such full breakfasts. We can't recommend them enough. Went to Las Gatas for snorkeling and if there was any disappointments on this trip, I guess I'd have to say this excursion was. There were way too many people and snorkeling was a pain since you were constantly bunping into people or vice versa. And there wasn't much to see underwater. But it was good to visit and eat at one of the restaurants where we had excellent shrimp cocktails. We loved Tamales y Atoles Any, Casa Que Canta was 5 star service, as were Kau Kan (amazing views and a great wall of masks that mesmerize at night) and Puerto Mio that overlooks a beautiful cove and when the water crashes in, the sound of the rocks tumbling back to shore is quite interesting. The staff at all these high end restaurants were top notch and make you feel like royalty. And for being 5 star they are still quite affordable indeed. We had dinner for six at Casa Que Canta which included two incredible appetizers, 2 bottles of wine, 3 big bottles of water, dinner for all six, coffee and one dessert (too full for anymore!) for about $275. I'm sorry, we thought that was fantastic!!!!!!! Traveling in taxi's is the best way to go. Walked around town alot and really, that's the best way to see this place--immerse yourself in the daily life. We went to the mercado and loved the sights and sounds, the remedies for bunions and vericose veins being sold, the racks of meat hanging, the incredibly juicy limes and the wonderful knick-knacks. We spent time at Tequila Town which has great Karaoke and where everyone loves to join in! Bandidos, across from the shopping stalls in town was alot of fun. There was a gorgeous singer performing the week we were there, Miguel, from Monterrey. Go see him. His music is lively and begs one to join in the dancing. Think Gypsy Kings. The two nights we were there he had the house packed. He'll be famous in no time, I don't doubt it.

We loved this charming little town!!!! We can't wait to go back. Thanks to all who helped with advice and keep 'em coming for those who have yet to set eyes on paradise.

adios!

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.