Silver Tianguis in Taxco

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.88.136 (dup-200-65-88-136.prodigy.net.mx) on sábado, agosto 09, 2003 at 14:39:20 :

In Reply to: Acapulco Y Taxco posted by STEW from 67.116.231.20 (ppp-67-116-231-20.dialup.pltn13.pacbell.net) on viernes, agosto 08, 2003 at 20:40:37 :

I think you just may find in Taxco that perfect gift you were seeking.

Be sure to do your silver buying in the Tianguis. You can buy at wholesale prices if your purchase is above a minimum amount, which varies from place to place. I bought a BIG silver necklace there for Lupita for less than $300 pesos that cost $1200 in the street-level shops.

Oh, yes, the Tianguis is an area of wholesale silver shops located below street level into and under the side of the hill. Standing with the Catedral de Santa Prisca to your back, cross the plaza to the street on the left, go up a block and you'll see white inlaid pebble footprints on the left side in the stone street that head down stairs and underground (all the streets are decorated with inlaid stone). There may be a sign that says Tianguis somewhere, but don't count on it. It's easy to get lost and there are several levels, all full of one silver shop after another, many interconnected so that you will walk through one to get to others. You can even see the raw silver pellets as they are sent up from the mine in crude form before being melted and crafted. There are lots of great bargains to be had and if you're persistant you'll find almost any item you can imagine crafted in silver.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.