Straight from the horse's mouth -2

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Mexico Message Board] [FAQ]

Posted by Laura from 200.65.88.63 (dup-200-65-88-63.prodigy.net.mx) on miércoles, agosto 20, 2003 at 12:06:45 :

In Reply to: Straight from the horses mouth posted by Tootie Wink from 137.53.159.23 (?) on lunes, agosto 18, 2003 at 18:24:20 :

I have to second Rob's comments. No way is Petatlan a 'tourist trap'. This is a very Mexican town with only occasional tourists off the main track who are seen there. Gold is sold according to prices pr gram set by some international or federal agency ... right? Only that you must pay something extra for stones or special work in the setting of a particular piece. Locals pay the same price as a foreign tourist... of course always within a range of acceptable bartering.

I like Petatlan. It is older than Zihuatanejo and not at all developed for tourism as Zihua is so it has an ambience that I find to more reflect a regular Mexican town. The fair occurs there a couple of times a year and the street fills up with stalls selling lots of things... yes, lots of plastic things - colorful buckets and bandejas of all sizes and also ceramic cookware. I love to go mostly to enjoy the people (and to buy those wonderful modern 'fireglass' yellow cups and saucers).

The square in the center is pleasant. I like to have lunch at a restaurant called El Pueblo, buy at the market, visit the church (which is modern- built after the old one burned down in the 50's- but still has a good magic feel to it. I am the happy owner of several pair of fantastic gold earrings obtained there in the gold stalls at good prices ... from $150 - 300 pesos.

It is a little tricky to find the turnoff from the highway. Going with a guide is a good way to enjoy it in comfort. Also expect heat. Petatlan is 10 inland and the narrow streets don't facilitate airflow. There are some great pre-revolution adobe buildings for those who appreciate such things as I do.

Hasta pronto,
Laura

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.