Slight Amendment

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by MCD from 152.163.252.164 (cache-rh04.proxy.aol.com) on miércoles, octubre 01, 2003 at 20:38:29 :

In Reply to: Re: Driving from Laredo posted by MCD from 152.163.252.164 (cache-rh04.proxy.aol.com) on miércoles, octubre 01, 2003 at 17:45:50 :

Coming out of Morelia toward Uruapan, I'm not entirely sure of the route # - I just assumed it was 15D. The way road signs work in Mexico is you follow signs for the next city along your route - in your case, signs for Uruapan and/or Patzcuaro. Then connect to 37D south toward Nueva Italia, La Union, and Ixtapa.

If you are taking your time, you might want to try the section of old route 37 that runs south out of Uruapan to Nueva Italia. It's spectacular - mountain switchbacks, very scenic. You would think you were in a more arid version of switzerland. Nevertheless, the road surface is not that great and going is very slow. But what scenery!

Also, on the section of old route 37 around the west side of the reservoir, there is one place where the road fords a stream. In early November last year, this was wet they had it roped off. There was a muddy, deeply potholed bypass onto a one lane bridge. If traveling in the rainy season or shortly thereafter, best to have some ground clearance - otherwise be very careful on this short (1/4 mile) bypass section of dirt road. On the way back north in March, the ford was bone dry., so no bypass.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.