Re: School supplies

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.171.158 (dup-200-65-171-158.prodigy.net.mx) on miércoles, octubre 01, 2003 at 22:54:04 :

In Reply to: School supplies posted by Gordon from 129.174.139.231 (?) on martes, septiembre 30, 2003 at 17:16:29 :

They sure could! Just about anything that they need can be found cheaper up north, unfortunately, and it is a difficult chore here for parents to keep their children supplied with the basic necessities for school.

Lupita and I have practically adopted one family of 4 children, and besides helping the younger ones with their alphabet and numbers, we've also put shoes on their feet, clothes on their backs, and school supplies in their hands. Lupita even oversaw getting their street paved and illuminated as a personal project! She also took them for their first outing ever to Ixtapa and spent the day at the waterpark for one of their birthdays, and for another birthday they went to Ixtapa Island, again a first for them (imagine being born here and never having done these things). I swear I married a saint! ;~)

There are so many wonderful people contributing their time, money and energy to make up for the deficiencies in our local governments and our education system, and they are making a big difference. Laura at Barra de Potosí is one of the brightest shining examples! But there are many more, including people like you who make the time and effort to contribute to the children during your vacation. I never saw any vacationers in Florida or the Virgin Islands do any such thing, and don't think there aren't children just as needy and deserving in those places (and many more)!

We certainly can't help everyone, but if everyone would help someone by showing a little compassion then I believe the world would be a much better place. We could definitely use more compassion in the world, don't you think?

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's ®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.