TRIP REPORT

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by meg from 68.5.153.232 (ip68-5-153-232.oc.oc.cox.net) on miércoles, noviembre 12, 2003 at 20:34:43 :

Just returned from an all too short 5 days in Zihua. Stayed at Villa del Sol and while very nice, we spent very little time in our room. Next time we'll stay somewhere less expensive, enabling us to visit multiple times a year. The weather was hot, humid,and wonderful. Beautiful blue skies and sunsets, a little haze. Alternative to getting to Las Gatas is to kayak over from Playa la Ropa, a wonderful way to get there. Just remember to pack your water and sunscreen. I was ready for the day with my book, camera, etc. but got toppled over by a wave on my way out and decided to scale down to bare essentials. Had a fabulous one hour $17 massage on the beach followed by the most delicious coldest Corona I've ever had!
Because we were there for a wedding (which was so over the top, enchanting and fun) we didn't get to explore as much as we would have liked. Attended a huge party at Coconuts one night where the mango margaritas were endless (try them, they really are awesome and provide a substantial kick)and the food was terrific. Participated in the release of the 3 day old turtles into the bay and one night as we strolled on the beach at about 10:30, we actually saw a large turtle laying her eggs (like ping pong balls), about 87 in total. Quite an awesome sight. That along with the rainbow, lunar eclipse, fireworks etc. just made this incredible. My Bud went fishing. Day One was more or less a bust with only a few bonita, but the reports hadn't been great and that 's why they call is going fishing...not catching fish. Day two he caught two sailfish, around 7 ft in excess of 100 pounds and the pictures tell it all. Spent one day at La Barra de Potosi...what a beach! Didn't make it to the lagoon, but one must always leave something for the next trip...si? We negotiated a fare from Playa la Ropa for $40 round trip and paid the driver when he returned to pick us up. Absolutely EVERYONE we met was wonderful, from taxi drivers to shop keepers in town. What wonderful warmth exudes from the locals!Only sorry we didn't speak more Spanish, so we have now enrolled in a course so next trip we are in a position to communicate more. Restaurants: La Gaviota on la Ropa had the most incredilbe shrimp tacos with some pineapple in them...the best. Had terrific fish and taritas at La Perla. Other recommendations include: La Callita, a hidden jem across the street from El Mango in the alley. Try the pozole...it's to die for. At Los Braseros the tacos al pastor (the Mexican equivalent of a gyro) and the queso fundid are terrific. Outstanding chilirellons and huachinango at Puntanenas. We never made it to El Mercado, but understand that it's great to go and see all the fresh local produce, fish and meat (especially if you are a foodie) and eat at the stalls.
We are very used to visiting different islands in the Caribbean...this is very different. Don't expect clear turquoise water (I didn't thanks to this message board) or awesome snorkeling. Do expect relaxation, awesome fishing, fabulous people, food and places to explore. We can't wait to return and are already in the planning stages! This will become a regular spot for us, for sure. Thanks to everyone who answered our questions along the way. Have a great trip, and let me know if you have any questions. Adios! Meg

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.