Re: Puerto Del Mar

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Jack from Balto from 68.33.96.214 (pcp039181pcs.aberdn01.md.comcast.net) on miércoles, diciembre 24, 2003 at 07:21:16 :

In Reply to: Puerto Del Mar posted by grego in Michigan from 63.77.247.130 (gwv.dteenergy.com) on lunes, diciembre 22, 2003 at 10:56:36 :

My wife and I have stayed there the last 5 years and are returning January 31 for 2 weeks. I have been reading the reports on this place over the years myself but we haven't really experienced a lot of negatives. First, it is not a luxury hotel- I knew that before I arrived the first time so I was not disappointed. It is an adequately appointed condo-type unit. I have never been put in one that was not clean and I have never gone to the desk with an issue that wasn't resolved- not that I can remember anything serious right now.
The service at the front desk improved greatly a couple of years ago. I understood at the time a new management team was hired to run the place. A new pool was built with a swim up bar and sliding board. They opened a restaurant- although we've yet to eat there. Mr. Juan at the front desk has a list of tours and activities he can book for you at inflated prices. It may be convenient, but you can book everything he has direct and save a few bucks.
On the down side- we're beach people, not pool people. The walk to the public beach by the Barcelo is a bit longer than optimum, a quarter mile, maybe, but part of the adventure. You can wind through the artesania mercado on the way, stop for lunch, practice your spanish with the people you meet- you can't do that on the walk to the pool.
I have found Puerto del Mar is primarily a Mexican family place. You'll see a lot of 3 and 4 generation families enjoying the common areas around the pool. Do the kids get noisy? Sure, but introduce yourself, join their family for a while, you'll enjoy the kids as much as they do.
Things I like- sitting on the balcony with my morning coffee watching the place come to life. Would ocean front be better? Try to find one at this price. Watching the sunset on the roof with a cold cervesa. Take the elevator to the top floor- turn left, you'll find it.
Puerto del Mar is not a place I would arbitrarily recommend to everyone, but if you go there expecting a clean, comfortable place to relax and enjoy the Zihua-Ixtapa experience you will not be disappointed.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.