Re: On the serious side

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by ZihuaRob from 200.65.183.75 (dup-200-65-183-75.prodigy.net.mx) on martes, enero 06, 2004 at 21:26:40 :

In Reply to: On the serious side posted by Chinto from 216.86.99.253 (99-253.adsl.gen.pacificcoast.net) on martes, enero 06, 2004 at 18:51:57 :

Really, it's a matter of personal habits, especially regarding water usage but also including everything that we use and throw away including paper and plastic products.

Be conscious of the amount of water you use! I can't stress this enough! Many people here have lived without potable water that arrives in pipes to their homes, so they learned to be economical with water from their youth, but visitors rarely consider the true value of the water they use (unless perhaps they are farmers). Because so much water is diverted to Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo, the rivers where it comes from have suffered dramatically, especially during the past 10 years. Disposing of wastewater with our prehistoric treatment plants is another problem entirely. One way visitors can help is by not flushing anything except bodily wastes down the toilet; i.e., no paper or feminine hygiene products. Please deposit paper etc in a wastepaper basket (all bathrooms here have them).

Since most foreign visitors are fortunate enough to have been brought up in an anti-litter culture, it sets a good example to practice what we preach and to be seen (especially by little kids) picking up litter, particularly from the beaches. Every little bit helps and it doesn't cost you anything except a little of your goodwill!

There's always more that can be done, but this is a good start.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.