-BE AWARE-

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Lisa from 152.163.252.168 (cache-rh08.proxy.aol.com) on jueves, enero 08, 2004 at 11:48:50 :

I just returned from 3 weeks in Zihua....two of them spent alone. I have always stated that I have felt safer there as a single woman than anywhere in the U.S. ~ as of my last trip this has changed. I have hesitated on how exactly to approach this on the board to raise awareness without causing panic.

I was physically and sexually attacked just before noon in broad daylight on a busy street corner (Plaza Kioto) on New years Day. I was on the payphone talking to my son and was attacked from behind.At the time my biggest concern was the fact that my 14 year old son was on the phone listening to all of this (on his Birthday of all days!) I managed to scream loud enough to attract attention and yelled in the direction of the phone to "call the policia" The attacker had no way of knowing I was on the phone to someone in the States.I was not seriously hurt and I defended myself by a swift kick in the crotch! At least I know he had a painful reminder of his stupidity!

I have been to Zihua 7 times in 5 years. I have taken my husband, my children,my sister, and my mother along with me. I still feel that it is basically a safe city.....but I no longer feel safe alone.....even in the middle of the afternoon. I won't let this man stop me from coming back to my favorite place to escape from everything, but I will always be wary of people approaching me now. I used to look at everyone as a potential friend. Now you have to get past the point of potential attacker first......it's sad.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.