First time in Ixtapa vacation report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Scott from 68.248.85.102 (adsl-68-248-85-102.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net) on jueves, enero 22, 2004 at 09:08:58 :

My wife Patti and I were at the Presidente from Jan.10th thru 17th. We personally prefer all-inclusive vacations, and I enjoy this website/forum, but I have noted a "anti-all-inclusive" slant. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll leave the resort review to the end.

Flight from Detroit on Ryan Air was on time, ZIH airport is very nice, transfer to hotel buses smooth. Didn't arrive at hotel until about 9pm Saturday and Mexican fiesta was going on in hotel entrance courtyard which made navigating with luggage to lobby a little tricky.

Sunday morning we awoke to thunder and rain, but the rain stopped by the time we got ready for breakfast. Spent most of Sunday morning walking the beautiful beach of Ixtapa. It was a little overcast but no complaints!

Monday we went to Zihuatanejo by taxi and enjoyed the mercado, a couple of Tecate's and Negra Modelo's at Banditto's and then walked to the fishing pier.

Tuesday we arrived at the pier for our charter with Captain Pepino on Whisky II. We left at 6:30 with mates Samuel and Hymen(sp?). As we were leaving the Harbor, a cruise ship was entering in the darkness. With all it's lights on, its was quite a site to see. Caught a bonita shortly after sunrise which was used as bait for marlin. I could go on in detail, but to made a terrific days stories short, we hooked four sailfish, landed three, got photos and released! It was a day my wife and I will never forget. Please do not miss taking an opportunity to go out on a charter if you get the chance! I set up the charter with Whiskey Water World and was very pleased with them. We decided to pay extra for a cabin cruiser instead of a panga and for our experience, we were glad we did. Nothing against pangas, we just enjoyed the extra space, enclosed head (my wife especially!)and we felt the extra cost was justified. If anyone wants additional details, please respond with your email address. Also had the good fortune to see two sea turtles and loads of dolphin!

Wednesday we went to Ixtapa Island. Snorkelling was good, the rest we could do without, more later.

Thursday was a relaxation day, more beach wandering, which we enjoy (we are easily amused).

Friday morning was rainy, which in talking to staff and locals was extremely rare for January. Still, no complaints from us, and we did not hear any from anyone else either. Late morning and afternoon were o.k. Our planned sunset cruise on the Vltava was cancelled due to weather and lack of interest.

We were scheduled to leave hotel at 5pm so we thoroughly enjoyed Saturday which had glorious weather. We found out about 4:30 that our plane was delayed 2 hours, which allowed us to enjoy the only sunset of the week! While waiting for the sunset we could see the spray from what had to be whales off in the distance!

Overall we really enjoyed Ixtapa / Zihuatanejo and will come back in the future after we have visited other destinations.

Flight home was o.k. arrived in Detroit at 3:45AM. Again, ZIH airport was very pleasant, clean.

Presidente/Apple/Tours -
Presidente was o.k., room was clean, food was hit and miss. We can only compare with the Moon Palace outside of Cancun and the Paradisus in Punta Cana. If Moon Palace was a 8 overall and the Paradisus is a 10, I would have to give the Presidente a 7, only because it is smaller, and offered less food choices than the others. Staff was very attentive, polite and pleasant! Although 24 hour room service is available, they now charge a 25 peso "service charge". Also some items at the ala-carte dining choices are extra, like lobster and certain beef/shrimp entrees.

Apple tours is Apple tours. Laura our representative was available and helpful. Our complaint was with our Apple arranged trip to Ixtapa island. The tour bus was 30-45 minutes late. The guide was unorganized, we were, and most everyone else we talked to on tour, very disappointed with trip to island. In hindsite, if you wanted to go to the island, you could hire a taxi to the beach near the Melia Azul, pay for the water taxi/panga at the beach,which will transport you to the island, and snorkel, pay for meals, etc. for less than Apple price and not have to put up with "instructions" from tour guide, waiting around for bus, etc.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.