ATTN Gayle: Manzanillo hike

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by CJoy from 207.69.139.145 (ca03-ch02-bl03.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net) on domingo, enero 25, 2004 at 16:48:09 :

In Reply to: Re: Did you see the pictures?? posted by gayle from 66.52.150.191 (o-s102-p5-150191.saber.net) on sábado, enero 24, 2004 at 15:51:28 :

Hi Gayle, you really need to listen to Rob and everyone else who suggested you hire a guide for this hike. Here is what we did and I highly recommend it: we stayed at the Catalina and were approached by a wonderful man who works there named Raymundo. He asked us if we wanted to take the walk to Playa Manzanillo to snorkel. He charged us $10 per person and it was well worth it not only for the safety factor but also for his company. We really enjoyed talking to him and all the interesting things he told us about where we were. We encountered a rather shifty looking guy along the way who was going fishing for these scary looking crustaceans called "cockaroaches of the sea." We saw the shells everywhere. We got a bad hit off the guy and after he left Raymundo told us it is a bad idea for tourists to go there alone. He said Banditos took everything including cameras from some tourists not long before our excursion. It is a serious hike, particularly in the heat, and yes it did take us a couple of hours and Raymundo said we made good time. Start early in the morning. To find Raymundo simply go to the beach bar at The Catalina and ask for him. You won't regret going with him. And be prepared, during parts of the hike you will see tons of garbage. If I ever did the hike again I would do as Rob suggests and pack some of it out, but to be honest, next time I would go by boat.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.