Cri-Cri, Why cricket?

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Cri-Cri from 209.81.127.6 (Dial2-RAS2-136.eot.com) on sábado, enero 31, 2004 at 17:02:37 :

I have had a few e-mails asking about the name Cri-Cri.
When I first started going down to "Z" in 1950, not many of the residence owned cameras or had photos of their children. I started taking pictues of the kids and families, and would bring back 8x10 black and white prints the following year. By the late '60s and early '70s I was bringing back 75-100 prints. The people found out when I was returning to the Avila and the bus stop would be filled with people. I would divide the pictures and give them to some of the mothers to pass out. The prints would usually be gone in about 15 minutes. It got to the point that many of the mothers would get their children dressed up and bring them down to the Avila for picture taking for the following year. By that time most of the houses in town had my prints on their walls.
Oh yes, back to the Cri-Cri name. When I would snap a picture I would say Click instead of cheese. That eventually turned into click click or Cri-Cri which means Cricket. That became my name in "Z."
One time, in the later years, after missing many years of not returning to my beloved Zihuatanejo, I returned, and on a walk over to La Ropa, a little old lady passed by and said "buenas días Cri-Cri." I felt Good.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P.®, Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.