First trip to Ixtapa!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Don and Maggie from 12.160.1.162 (012160001162.casecorp.com) on lunes, febrero 02, 2004 at 18:13:48 :

We just returned from our first trip to the Ixtapa/Zihua area. We LOVED it! It was the best overall vacation destination we have been to in Mexico. Great food/restaurants, shopping, easy to get around, reasonable prices, FRIENDLY people, GREAT beaches.

We had to drive to Calgary, Alberta to catch our plane (we are from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan). We obviously picked a great week to go as a place not far from home was the coldest place on EARTH last Wednesday!!Minus 44 Celcius with the wind chill making it -54. Ridiculously cold!

We stayed at the Dorado Pacifico- it was wonderful. We booked on a sell off site and only paid $490 Cnd each plus taxes for one week so it was a great deal, plus you get a $105 US credit with the hotel which paid for our drinks for the week by the pool and in the piano bar. The hotel is rated a three star by Air Canada vacations but seems closer to 4 to me! Turn down service and everything!!

We went to Las Gatas twice while we were there and to Playa Linda and Isla Ixtapa once, and also took the bus into Zihua about 4 or 5 times to walk around and do the beach thing. We actually walked to Las Gatas both times on the rocks (all the way from Fisherman's Walk!!) - only a trip for the sure-footed- I would not recommend for anyone not in peak shape or if you have kids along. take the water taxi from the Pier if you have any doubt!! Decent snorkeling at Las Gatas but much better at Ixtapa island, at Coral Beach.

My husband and I went fishing once together- got a sailfish but it got off, then caught and released a bonito. The second time he went with a fellow we met on the plane (hi Gord and Laura!!!) which was great because we girls got to have a nice breakfast together and a lazy day by the pool! (Hola, swim up bar!) They had a pretty good day- they caught two tuna- one was about 150 pounds and the other was 280 pounds! They were pretty excited and the toast of the pier that afternoon- everyone was posing for pics with their fish!

Other highlights of the trip was some of the memorable restaurants- Emilios, Daniel's in Zihua, Chimichangas, Capri. Watching the sunset at Happy Hour at the Krystal beach bar on El Palmar beach. Snorkeling and spotting a small octopus at Las Gatas. Watching the waiter feed the sea bass a tortilla at Coral Beach on Isla Ixtapa. Spotting about 50 porpoises jumping and racing beside our panga 7 miles out the day I went fishing. SEEING A 280 POUND TUNA!!! The friendly faces of all the people of Zihuantanejo.

I can hardly wait to go back next winter- for two weeks, knock on wood!

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.