Qualton Club - My opinion

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Mexico Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Posted by Marg from 209.53.116.131 (slam01m02-131.bctel.ca) on martes, febrero 03, 2004 at 18:35:58 :

Just got back from 2 weeks at Qualton. First opinion was "iffy". The lobby is open air with a high thatch roof, which is fine. Checking in went smoothly. We paid for a poolside room but were put in a room that was the farthest from that imaginable and looked out onto a brick wall. But after talking to the desk clerk we were asked to "just stay there tonight - move you tomorrow", which they did, to our poolside room. Found out later that the same thing happened to almost everyone. Our poolside room was nice. The rooms are small but we had a kingsize bed, night tables, closet, dresser, small table with 2 comfortable chairs, sink separate from toilet and shower and a deck with a view of pool and ocean through the palm trees. Only problem with the room was never a hot shower and no water on three different occasions for a few hours. As the rain stopped and the sun shone and our room improved so did my opinion of the place.
The diningroom is on the upper floor, also open air and most evenings the tables were set up in front of the stage so we dined under the stars while we watched the shows. The shows were excellent, the young entertainment staff works very hard at them. The is another restaurant beside the pool and pool bar for lunch and snacks. The food was good, just gets a little tiresome after two weeks. There is a lobby bar and a swim-up bar in the adult pool. The pool areas were very clean. The security guard usually made sure that the adult pool was used only for adults and sent the kids over to the activity pool. Only complaint with the pools was that the music was much too loud for my liking. Never a rush for pool chairs which was nice .. always some available any time of day. There was a beach area at the far end of the resort for those who preferred that with chairs and palapas. The beach was not the best swimming area although used by many. The sand is very silty. I can't say enough about the staff ... they were excellent, fast, efficent and friendly. The best. The hotel and grounds were very clean. Although Qualton is going to have to give it some tender loving care soon or it is not going to be around. There are a lot of needed repairs. It would be a shame to see it go downhill as they have a lot of good things going for them.
As for the area and it being out of town, that did not bother us at all. After all it is only a 14 peso trip to Zihuatanejo. We made the trip once but unfortunately picked a day there was a cruise ship in so droves of people. Enjoyed it anyhow as we wandered the streets away from the rest. Never made it in to Ixtapa, only to drive though and that was enough for me. Lots of people from the hotel went there for meals occasionally. There were lots of things to keep one occupied near the hotel. Righ next door is the estuary with the crocodiles, iguanas, turtles and birds to view. Next to that is the market with all sorts of things for sale. The beautiful biking/walking path starts right there and goes all the way to Zihuatanejo. It is paved, wide and for the most part shaded. Patrolled by the police so no need to be nervous. We walked part of it every second morning to watch the iguanas in the trees and see the birds. If you went early enough you could have it all to yourself. There is also the long beach of Playa Linda to walk on and no crowds. We walked as far as the river. Lots of river rock there but we watched the fishermen and the surfers. Then, of course, the hotel is only steps from the pier where you catch the boats to Ixtapa Island for 30 pesos. No pier but you barely get wet to your ankles getting into the boats. Interesting to see them manuever the boats in to pick people up. There are four beaches on the island with beautiful sand and good swimming. Our favorite was Varadero Beach. Also explored Coral Beach and hiked the trail to Carey Beach. Our least favorite was the main beach as it is very busy but enjoyed Antonio's "Happy Hour all day .." Lots of places to walk near the hotel. Walked to Quieta Beach one day as well. Then of course there is the Melia Azul next door with the huge new convention center. I did not find it attractive at all. I could go one but I won't as my opinion only.
If you are used to or enjoy five star hotels don't go to the Qualton but if you are like us and enjoy a smaller, relaxed hotel then do not hesitate. As someone said in an earlier report ... different people travel for different reasons.

Follow Ups:

This board is a community service of ZihuaRob's Z.I.P., Servicios Internet in Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa, Mexico.