Re: Laura and The Children's Library

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por Laura desde 66.74.50.106 (cpe-66-74-50-106.dc.res.rr.com) el día miércoles, 09 de julio, 2008 a las 15:35:12 horas :

En respuesta a: Laura and The Children's Library escrito por judi in OKlahoma desde 166.128.75.99 (?) el día miércoles, 09 de julio, 2008 a las 12:34:15 horas :

Thank you so much for posting this Judi! I have been just a bit worried since I've been way-layed or derailed a bit in my communications on this board dealing with those most irritating little threats to mortality but happily my luck persists. I've had lung surgery and now I only have to be patient for a while longer till I can return in early September.

Meanwhile back in La Barra, work continues and we are having another wonderful summer with the help of the volunteers sent to us by two programs - one in Germany and one in Ireland under the umbrella of PEInterculturales.com.

Currently the children of La Barra through the Children's Library Project are enjoying English classes and gardening groups working on the library garden in addition to regular library reading and art activities under the supervision of Annabella, our wonderful volunteer from Germany. Next month, we'll have another volunteer from Germany and one from Ireland.

One of their projects will be to organize for the next distribution of school supplies. This will come just in time for the opening of the school term.

I believe (and hope.)from talking with Rick, that we will have the blessing of his wonderful anonymous friend's matching funds for all donations made in the month of October as we have in past years. ..is this a yes Rick? We are so grateful for this generous offer and will hope that many will feel moved to double the value of your already generous donation by taking advantage of this wonderful offering.

Rick's help has been a cornerstone of the Children's library almost from the beginning of our efforts and we are so grateful for his genuine caring, big heart and hard work through the years (including getting up on that roof in the hot sun helping with the building itself. It was an inspiration to the local guys may of whom had to join in upon seeing that!)

Rick has set up a link for donations on his ChildrenofMexico.com site where he also describes several other very worthy projects in our area.

Other who may feel moved to help us out a little sooner are welcome and will be well appreciated for the specific purpose for completing the final part of the construction - finishing the storage room and a bedroom/bath for a live-in librarian. The first users of this room will be one of our volunteers from Germany or Ireland who will be with us through January of 2009. We will be hoping that we can finish this as early as late September. Well... it is rural Mexico so we'll do our best to meet that goal. The rains may have something to do with it.

As soon as I get back to La Barra I will look forward to getting some new videos up on youtube so you can check it out. We already have a number of them on there (type in Chilren's Library Project of Barra de Potosi) and they are so much fun to watch! You can see there some of the joy being spread by the caring generosity of so many... mostly people from this board.

Believe me the kids of La Barra and their families - all of us - are very deeply and joyfully grateful for your generous participation in bringing this help for their education through the library and the distribution of school supplies!

Thank you again to Judi also for your work in generating help for the library through sites on the Internet (where Judi has been known through the years. - to know her is to love her!)

Con mucho carino,
Laura

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO