Re: z loss of tourism article

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.63.219 (dsl-189-179-63-219.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día jueves, 31 de julio, 2008 a las 11:43:30 horas :

En respuesta a: Re: z loss of tourism article escrito por KR desde 189.177.78.239 (dsl-189-177-78-239.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día jueves, 31 de julio, 2008 a las 10:45:08 horas :

I believe it has to do with the types of vacation one chooses. Previously, before mass-marketed tourism and all-inclusives, Zihuatanejo enjoyed a respectful and adventuresome type of tourist who knew to be careful with water, who didn't mind spotty electric service or the practically non-existent telephone service, who stayed in family-run posadas and actually got to know the family, who actually tried to learn Spanish, who enjoyed our natural gifts instead of the man-made ones, who walked everywhere to get around or took the bus, and who returned year after year. But now we have condo commandos and time-share sharks and all-inclusives and bar-hoppers and disco maniacs and privatized beaches. And of course everyone wants A/C with all the amenities. We've killed the goose that lays the golden egg and replaced her with a plastic pink flamingo trying to become something that we aren't.

And now, like so many Florida communities I once knew, we have thousands of "homeowners" who don't live here and whose only concern for Zihuatanejo goes no futher than their investment. I've seen this all before and it doesn't bode well for the community. Which is why I repeat over and over that the community should come first before the tourist industry. Diversifying our economy to wean us from the whims of tourism will be the key to our community's survival.

Where the visiting tourist comes in is in the choices they make. Not staying at A-I hotels and instead choosing family-run posadas. Not swimming with imprisoned dolphins or taking "tours" on noisy 4-wheeler ATVs along our beaches and rural backroads. Spending money at locally owned businesses. Not drinking at bars all night long. I could go on and on. The point being that lots of their choices affect the way our economy responds and also affect the well-being of our community. In recent years we experienced a major problem with land invasions made worse by some of the invaders receiving support from foreigners, something that would have been inconceivable 15 years ago when our visitors were more in touch with our community. So I believe there is quite a bit the casual tourist could do to help us keep this place nice.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO