A Nuther Zihuatanejo Day

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.140.91.176 (dsl-189-140-91-176.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día sábado, 16 de agosto, 2008 a las 02:28:12 horas :

By eight o'clock this morning the sun was hot and bright as it edged its way over the deeply greened hills and illuminated Zihuatanejo Bay. Another picture postcard perfect day! As I was opening up my office I saw LadyM's mom, Lorena, with another of her daughters, Mary, strolling down my street on their way back from breakfast at Bananas. They were having a great time, and we chitty chatted and gossiped and reminisced for a while on the sidewalk, our Southern twangs a-twangin' (not something you hear often in these parts) before they went cheerfully off on their day's adventure and I went to work.

Soon a large flatbed truck with a boom crane pulled up at the intersection of Juan N. Alvarez and Vicente Guerrero and a crew began the process of removing the last cement pole of the electric company left on the corner in front of Hotel Suzy. They surprised us all two nights ago when they came down the street removing most of the poles even though many stlll had telephone and cable TV installations hanging from them. They just left all the cables and wires hanging, many dangerously low over the street and sidewalks, much to everyone's consternation. This last pole was the most difficult because it was surrounded by branches of an almendra tree as well as by the phone and cable TV installations that were now simply suspended in mid-air. Like threading a needle, after freeing the base with a sledgehammer and hacksawing the rebar, they lifted the last electric pole up through the top of the tree over the dangling wires and deftly set it in the back of the flatbed. It looked a lot more difficult than it turned out to be, but just the same it was a good show.

It was good and hot out by now, and families of visitors were hurrying to the beach, enjoying all they could before vacation time ends and schools re-open this coming Monday for most kids in Mexico. Back into my office I went and put on Derek & the Dominos full blast to get some serious work done.

A little after two it was time to close up shop and get ready for lunch, which today was with about a thousand other friends, family members and neighbors under a canopy of tall, lush trees in Ixtapa at the home of my wife's nephew, Alejandro. With 98-year old neighbor dońa Cari, my wife and I arrived at the party just after three, taking what seemed like forever just to greet everyone on the way to our table in Alejandro and Adriana's back yard where tents and live music and hundreds of other partygoers awaited. A little tequila on the rocks to take the edge off, and we were on with the challenge of trying to put names to the hundreds of familiar faces. My wife is much better at this than I am since she seems to be related with about a quarter of the regional population.

As usual at these types of parties we see lots of family and friends whom we see infrequently, so trying to get caught up on news and gossip with each other over the cacophony of music and shouting partygoers requires a lot of patience.

This was sort of a surprise party that got discovered because it got so big, but even so, Alejandro was still overwhelmed at the large turnout.

I suppose I should mention that Alejandro is the local PRI candidate for mayor. He represents a new generation in the political sphere, though he has already earned himself a good reputation as a former mayor of Petatlán as well as a diputado in the state Congress.

One thing he did recently that blew minds and broke molds was to invite the ex-candidate for mayor for the PRD (who only "lost" the preliminary election due to alleged ballot box stuffing and vote buying by another PRD candidate) to form part of his administration and to name half the municipal political appointments. And today the former PRD candidate arrived at the party with about 200 of his followers, including lots of colonia leaders. It was a grand experience when he and hundreds of PRD supporters were welcomed by the hundreds of PRI supporters who made up the bulk of the partygoers. Alejandro's astuteness will hopefully go a long way towards ending the often fanatical divisiveness that has plagued our local political scene and stagnated our collective progress for too long... if he wins.

Lunch was tamales, frijoles rancheros, and a spicy beef for eating on tortillas. Delicious!

As if on cue, storm clouds began to roll in right around five o'clock, so in order to beat the crowd we bade our farewells and taxied back to Zihuatanejo. Sure enough almost as soon as we arrived home it began to sprinkle, eventually turning into a nice cooling light rain that continued intermittantly throughout the evening.

Just another perfectly satisfying and interesting day by the sea in Zihuatanejo. =)

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO