34 years ago today

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.140.91.176 (dsl-189-140-91-176.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día jueves, 21 de agosto, 2008 a las 14:54:25 horas :

On a stormy day in Florida 34 years ago today I boarded a flight from Tampa to Mexico City, crying most of the way for the girlfriend I left behind, having no clue I was about to meet the girl who would later become my wife of almost 19 years now. My mother, brother, dog Cleet the afghan hound and I were Zihuatanejo bound!

First we had to go through customs in Mexico City, then we put everything in a storage cage there while we waited for the flight to Acapulco. They wouldn't let us fly with our large dog on the Zihuatanejo flight. Before retrieving our things for the next flight, someone stole my dart board from the storage cage. Welcome to Mexico!

Got to Acapulco and found a rental car. A gray Dodge "K Car". Before we could get everything loaded in the car someone stole my bag with my 8-track player, tapes and camera. Double welcome to Mexico!!

But I was still smiling as we hauled butt along the coastal road in the dark... up until I came around a curve just out of Acapulco and miraculously weaved through a herd of cows at about 60 mph. That slowed me down and wiped that smile off my face. So did the military checkpoints in the pitch dark in the middle of nowhere.

Five hours later the glow of lights on the horizon that was Zihuatanejo put the smiles back on our faces, and we pulled in to the Sotavento-Catalina about midnight. Good thing they allowed dogs.

I've been smiling ever since! =)

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO