Imagination Running Away

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.138.201 (dsl-189-179-138-201.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día jueves, 22 de enero, 2009 a las 11:44:12 horas :

En respuesta a: Back from Guerrero tour, observations and notes escrito por Adlerblick desde 68.89.46.214 (adsl-68-89-46-214.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net) el día lunes, 19 de enero, 2009 a las 15:15:02 horas :

I think your own preconceptions colored your perceptions regarding statements like "Marks of the narco-culture and trade were everywhere in Guerrero". While you saw military checkpoints, there are USUALLY military checkpoints. These are really nothing new. They were all up and down the coastal road and on the inland routes when I lived here in '74. I certainly don't see any signs of narco-culture everywhere. I DO see signs of increased alcoholism, though. There are more bars and cantinas in Zihuatanejo than ever, and THIS is causing a decline in our quality of life. Of course, many of the patrons of those bars are also using coke and speed to party hearty all night long. But of course if the bars weren't there their accompanying bar nightlife culture would wane. The alcohol culture is a much bigger problem than the narco culture here. But that's true most places nowadays, isn't it?

Yes, foreigners and locals have created a local market for coke and speed. But I doubt our problem in that respect is much different than many other tourist destinations, and actually it's probably less of a problem here than in many other similar destinations. But that's just my own perception based on my previous experience from living in Florida.

Young men driving expensive cars or looking fit and tanned at the beach is not a reliable indicator of the presence of narcos. I really think that's just your imagination (once again) running away with you.

Turn it up!!!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO