the fight against obscure interests

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 201.110.144.129 (dsl-201-110-144-129.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día lunes, 26 de enero, 2009 a las 11:34:32 horas :

Unfortunately, many of us locals have known for decades that there are obscure interests who have wanted our lands since the federal government tried to expropriate Zihuatanejo and run all the locals off back in the late 60's/early 70's. At that time the locals, especially the ejiditarios, were proud and principled people who told the government (and thus those obscure interests) that blood would run if they tried taking away our lands. So they took Ixtapa's lands instead and built their monster creation. To this day some of those former Ixtapa property owners have still not been compensated for their losses. But they are poor and uneducated, so the government (together with those obscure interests) doesn't see them as any serious threat.

Nowadays most of those Zihuatanejo folks who told the government to kiss off back in the late 60's/early 70's are old and frail, if alive at all, and due to a couple of generations of the worst educational system in Mexico (intentionally, I would say) most of the folks who should be carrying on the legacy of their forefathers don't have their know-how, good principles or fortitude. So they accept a few pieces of silver and the new reality that comes with being bought off while fewer and fewer of us are left to stand our ground for the Zihuatanejo we envisioned only a few years ago. Now the hillsides are mostly gone, and the lands those obscure interests were after have been rezoned and parceled up. They have obtained much of what they were after over 3 decades ago.

Apparently, especially in recent years, locals have pretty much lost control over our town and its future, and that future is looking bleaker and bleaker at the rate things are going, as has become painfully obvious even to a first-time visitor.

Nevertheless, we aren't giving up. Many of the downtown residents, mostly made up of members of the oldest families here, have formed their own civic organization and at this moment are meeting with the mayor to express many of the concerns that have been discussed here. I would urge other interested parties, residents and landowners to take similar measures and to unite. There is power in numbers, and united our options are greater as are our chances of being heard and making a difference. As those of you who have been reading my Message Board for years may have noticed by now, I certainly haven't given up the fight. And we've even had some successes. Many of you have been part of those successes when we were fighting the pier in the bay projects. Your voices and your preference for our tourist destination do matter. Every little bit helps.

One place where tourists have every right to express their opinions is to the Secretaría de Turismo. Here is a link to their Contact page where you can let your thoughts be known.
SECTUR Buzón de Atención Ciudadana

I recommend saving a copy of what you write in a Word document (or OpenOffice.org doc if you don't have Microsoft Office) and forwarding a copy to me as an e-mail attachment so I can keep a record and show them to local officials to whom I have been trying to explain for years why we are losing tourists.

¡Sí se puede! Yes we can!

¡Viva Zihuatanejo!

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO