Principles vs Practicality

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.68.96 (dsl-189-179-68-96.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día miércoles, 28 de enero, 2009 a las 13:26:23 horas :

En respuesta a: Another take on this very real problem escrito por Walt desde 70.130.188.13 (adsl-70-130-188-13.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net) el día miércoles, 28 de enero, 2009 a las 12:43:38 horas :

I appreciate your honesty, but with all due respect I certainly wish you were more principled than practical. But perhaps you can make up for it by pleading guilty, paying the fine and naming the law breakers.

Just a couple of weeks ago at Playa Larga two hectares of mangroves were found completely deforested, "like a cementary" was one repeated descr1ption. Some of the mangroves had been estimated to have had about a 6-foot diameter and had been as tall as 65 feet. I cannot stress enough the importance of mangrove habitats along tropical coastlines. Yet sadly now their wood is also probably being made part of some "exclusive" development for affluent out-of-towners. Parcel after parcel are disappearing along our coastline because of the building boom due mostly to foreign buyers. One local ex-pat exclaimed after repeatedly having been caught destroying protected wetlands: "I don't know what they're b*tching about, I paid the damn fine!"

I have seen this happen in the Virgin Islands, Florida and here. This story always has a sad ending unless the cooperation stops between the corruptor and the corruptee and good ethics prevail.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO