¡Agua agua!

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por ZihuaRob desde 189.179.68.96 (dsl-189-179-68-96.prod-infinitum.com.mx) el día jueves, 29 de enero, 2009 a las 15:00:45 horas :

Linda wrote: "Rob commented that Playa Principal has been closed on a couple of occasions over several years"

Actually that's not what I said. I said that it's bacteriological count had registered unsafe levels of over 500 /mml according to the SEMARNAT reports, but at NO time was it closed. SEMARNAT did try to post warning signs the first time this happened, back when Amador Campos of the PRD was mayor 5 or 6 years ago, but he quickly ordered the signs removed "so as not to alarm tourists", obviously not having any concern for their health: an attitude that lasted up until the new mayor took office on January 1st of this year.

After rechecking water quality standards for Florida I see that beaches are considered unsafe if the water sampled contains a reading over 35 /mml. And that's only for enterococci bacteria.

I would love nothing more to be able to enjoy swimming once again in clean, clear water of our bay, but my wife and I haven't been able to do so for years. At the moment there are several meters of sludge on the bottom described as "toxic" by at least one marine biologist who measured it a couple of years ago. Obviously we have runoff and sewage problems, but the real problem began with the construction of a jetty by Puerto Mio about a decade ago. Townspeople and fishermen noticed an immediate change in the "behavior" of the bay. Its water no longer circulated the same or replenished itself quickly with clean ocean water and a huge dark stain of sludge formed on the bottom of the bay first in front of the pier but now stretching almost to Playa La Ropa. The photo at the top of the page shows this effect in its earlier years. If Puerto Mio obeyed the court order against them and removed the jetty today (something they appear extremely unwilling to do thanks to their influential connections and "leverage") it is estimated that it would still take several years before we'd see the original boulder-covered bottom of the bay again.

Our new mayor recently received a substantial sum of federal and state funds to clean up the bay. My wife and I are confident he will spend it wisely, but it will still be a timely and cost-consuming process. Perhaps if more developments followed the lead of Cerro del Vigía (not exactly my favorite development but they've got their positive points) and built their own wastewater treatment plants we could see a speedier recovery in the health of our bay. But looking at the new roads carved into the hillsides on both "arms" of the bay and seeing what those other developments have done is far from inspiring and looks to cause things only to deteriorate. But developers only need to sell once to recover their investment, then they're long gone like a turkey through the corn (except that stubborn Puerto Mío which just keeps going like a Stephen King version of the Energizer bunny).

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO