Trip Report

[Archives Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Home] [Zihuatanejo Ixtapa Troncones Message Board]

Escrito por SaskL&G desde 70.64.118.178 (S01060015f2e4eb6d.ss.shawcable.net) el día martes, 10 de febrero, 2009 a las 20:33:01 horas :

We left Saskatchewan -30 degrees Celsius and arrived in Zih to around +30 it doesn’t get any better than that ! Ahh as that airplane door opens and the hot humid air hits you it’s indescribable.
Got our 1st cold cervesa just out the airport doors as we got on our bus and headed off to our usual hotel Dorado Pacifico. This is our 6th visit there. It was wonderful to be greeted with all the familiar faces and smiles at the hotel. Go Cruz Azul Soccer team – hey Rueben : )

First morning we ran into a nice couple from Grand Rapids we have met 3 times prior at the Dorado so caught up with them for a visit and some volleyball. (what a small world)

3 surprises from prior visits:
The waves for the most part were surprisingly calmer then normal.
How few people there were around, other than the super bowl and holiday weekend.
And of course the Earthquake YIKES now we can tick that off our bucket list.

The places and meals that were our favorite:
Fajita Queens (Ixtapa) – Tortilla soup
Daniels (Zih) – Coconut shrimp
Il Mare (Zih)– Strawberry pancakes & magnificent view.
Zihuatanejo Pancake House (Zih)– waffles & fantastic coffee
3 Amigos (Zih) – chicken & shrimp fajitas

The search for the best Margarita was found on the beach in Zih(beside Arcadias) sorry I can’t think of the name.

Enjoyable adventures:
We golfed both the Marina and Palma real golf courses once and they were both in good shape saw lots of Iguanas and Crocodiles so that was fun. Cost just over 100 bucks a person Canadian $ for clubs, cart & green fees.

Went to Playa la Ropa one day and hung around Patty’s.

Off to Los Gatos to see Franco and everything was still “Peachy Keen”. – too funny

Took the bus to Barra de Potosi and on the cattle truck (whatever it is called) that takes us to the beach my husband had all the Mexican ladies giggling all the way there with him trying out his Spanish. It was almost worth the price of admission let me tell you. How friendly they all are ! I know why return year after year.

Fished twice on the Porpy with Noe Martinez first trip my husband caught 2 sail fish and the second trip I joined him and it was AMAZING. We had a huge gathering porpoises following the boat and jumping. We saw about 50 huge turtles, lots of bonitos jumping out of the water, saw to 2 sails teasing us and to top it off 2 enormous Humpback Whales breeching and flipping their tails – Definitely the highlight of the trip. My husband said I hexed him as I didn’t want to catch any fish anyway : ) I couldn’t have written the scr1pt any better if I tried !

Did our annual visit to Sociedad Protectora de Animales de Zihuatanejo to buy a t-shirt, leave some cat food, donation and a SPCA humane society tee shirt from Saskatoon Canada with them. We saw the fishermen beside the pier feeding the cats and dogs so left some food with them. The Mexican people sure do what they can for the strays, how wonderful.

The 2 weeks went by quickly and it’s with mixed feelings we are home. Hopefully we will be able to have another visit next year.

Follow Ups:

ZIHUATANEJO MEXICO  IXTAPA MEXICO  TRONCONES MEXICO  BARRA DE POTOSI MEXICO